PDA

View Full Version : Investigation procedure?

Jindy
05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Our business has decided to do an investigation to try track down a whistleblower that send an anonymous email to HR, repeating rumours about an executive member.

The business intends to track down and prosecute the sender for libel, but we have a few problems and procedural issues (my concerns).

The company network has a flaw, it hides individual users, so we can't isolate exactly which user has browsed what sites. So we are needing to go through all email, browser logs and phone logs to track things down.

Our investigation has started, with 5-6 staff marked for investigation. Here's where my concern kicks in around the process, or what appears to be lack of.

Two of those staff were "bollocked" for sharing rumours by their manager and then told they were subject to an investigation. This is also the same person preparing to lay the libel claim.
One staff was pulled into the boardroom by the CEO and told she was under suspicion and would be subject of the investigation.
None of the others have had any mention to them and it is a week later. There's also been no HR contact with any staff or the manager of the other staff either.
To top it, the same person preparing to lay the libel claim, is openly discussing aspects, suspicions related to this investigation with those same staff under investigation, or going on fact fishing investigations, without any HR ever being part of that.

What is HR's actual role here to protect the staff (and company) during this process?
What do you see is being done right or wrong here?

-Jindy

Qld IR Consultant
06-03-2013, 08:05 AM
First off don't use an internal person, be it HR or whatever, to do the investigation. Get a qualified and experienced external investigator. The first mistake is people talking about it. Discussions in lunch rooms, toilets and boardrooms can significantly taint an investigation.

I hope its not to late for you but I strongly suggest you get an external person to conduct it.......