PDA

View Full Version : State government salary negotiation

Show
27-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Hello there,
I have a quick and probably simple question for you all. Is it possible to negotiate salary classification level in state government roles? I understand there are levels and classifications within those that you progress through each year. However, I would like to negotiate to start at a second or third classification if I am successful in my search due to my qualifications and experience. Is this type of negotiation possible in state government? Are they likely to offer me the lowest classification and are they likely to consider my proposal of a higher classification to start on?
Thanks in advance,
SHOW

ER-Enthusiast
29-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Hi Show,

I'm not from the government sector but I think the classifications are aligned with experience, you don't start at the bottom just because you are coming from the private sector.

Tdsal2
08-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Show,
I am employed in an IR area within a state goverenment.

I'd describe 'classification' as that which applies to a position. Within that classification span (lets say 40-46K), there may be multiple increments. Increments would usually, but not always, be based on the employee - ie. number of years. Now the terminology may differ, and sometimes, there isnt an increment ladder within a classification. It might help if you tell us which award/agreement you are working under.

So my answer, based on what you have said is - you might be able to negotiate your increment, but I wouldnt not think you could negotiate the classification. State Governments shouldnt pay above award - and the classification of a position *should* be assessed against Award classification descriptors. If the classification changes - it is a new role, which would be handled via a merit based selection process.

Hope this makes sense?
Todd

Tdsal2
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Sorry - just to add - yes - you should negotiate the level within a classification if you can demonstrate years of experience in comparable roles. (but only the increment within the classification - not the classification itself.).