PDA

View Full Version : Probation period - a dated concept?

tubefeed
20-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Given that dismissing an employee under 12 months (for a small business anyway) cannot be challenged for Unfair Dismissal under the Fair Work Act, is a probation period a dated concept? What advantage does it have? I might be missing something, but really can't see the point.

Moz
20-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I believe it is still worth keeping from a psychological perspective even for small employers. They don't have to use it if they don't want to!

For larger employers it is still a vital provision IMHO.

Cottoneyes
21-06-2011, 09:35 AM
If it is going to be a probationary period in name only, I agree it is an outdated concept.

If it is done correctly with regular feedback given to both the employer and the employee, it is worth having no matter what the size of the business.

Hrins
21-09-2011, 08:07 AM
I definitely think this is an outdated concept, especially with so many people competing for open positions. In my opinion, there is a better selection of candidates across the board. Most positions are so much performance based that regardless of how long you have been on the job. Along with this, managing time and attendance has become a major importance for managing productivity versus cost.