PDA

View Full Version : Payroll Query

belinda
10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
I just found out today that one of our employees died over the weekend. He is a casual employee, and we still owe him hours for the last couple of weeks.
I remember a couple of years ago at another company, that the payroll officer could not pay the hours straight away, and there was some other stuff happening.
I am not sure what I am suppose to do, does anyone have any idea.

Belinda

Mark D
10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Belinda, you need to hold onto what is owed until the executor of the estate contacts you, at which time they will provide instructions as to how/where to pay the funds.

belinda
10-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Mark.

I thought it was something like that.

However when I rang our payroll company to see if they could assist me, they said they terminate the employee and reset the employee as to pay the Estate of Trevor Williams. Told me I could find out further information through Australian Business Limited if I wanted.

Mark D
10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Definitely terminate them, that's right.

belinda
10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
But don't pay until we heard from the Estate?
Do you know where to find information on this?

Cottoneyes
19-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Belinda,

I've had to do a few of these, most important thing to remember is not to tax it. Your company may wish to terminate them off the books now if they are worried about it affecting FTE or headcount. If so just open a new record once you are contacted.

Estates take a bit of time to get organised, usually a family member is involved and needs to organise solicitors etc. They'll contact you but if it goes on a few months without any word, then maybe make contact then.

In the meantime contact your finance team and let them know as they may need to accrue for it in the accounts

belinda
19-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks. I am going to wait until I hear something. The company that process our payroll were going to pay it and tax it, luckily told them not to do anything.