Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Jobseeking,

Might I suggest that from now on, whether you undertake paid work, volunteering, or work experience, that you discuss the issue of referees with your managers.

I maintain contact with most of my former managers (at least those who supervised me in professional roles). I also advise them when I'm applying for positions, and may even discuss the specifics of the role I'm looking at.

Maintaining contact with managers (even if only by email) ensures that you not only have positive relationships with your employers but also allows you to keep current contact info as well.

Finally, make sure you have mobile numbers and email addresses for your referees to improve your prospective employer's chances of getting them. Of course, always ask permission to put someone down as a reference.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Michaela

Thanks for that advice. As I mentioned previously I never really took my jobs seriously and that also applied to referees so now I'm paying dearly for that. I'll definitely be keeping up contact with supervisors in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelakassar View Post
    Maintaining contact with managers (even if only by email) ensures that you not only have positive relationships with your employers but also allows you to keep current contact info as well.
    Yes and it's good to keep in touch outside of looking for a reference - if all you email them for is a reference then they might feel used! If you've kept in touch and then a reference is required, they'll be more likely to be positive about it.

Hi HRinAustralia,

Sorry I should have clarified this in my previous post.

My contact with former managers has always gone beyond the need for references. I only stay in touch with those who have contributed to my personal/professional development, and who displayed the right behaviours/attitudes. I also like to get second opinions about work related topics so I can expand my skills/knowledge. Of course, I try and contribute to them as well.

Additionally, I enjoy a laugh and chat with them too.

As far as needing references goes, this issue is discussed before I leave my employers and is not mentioned again unless I need it.

Hope this is clarified.

Cheers
    Michaela

Quote Originally Posted by michaelakassar View Post
    Hope this is clarified.
    Of course, I thought that's what you meant to begin with - just wanted to add my weight to it as it's very important.

Though it is ethically wrong for employers to blacklist certain individuals and it is an infringment on individual rights and against the law, many companies and reruiters will/do still blacklist some people on the sly, but will never outwardly admit to it.

I have been blacklisted from nearly every Environmental company, Shire & City Council on the Mornington Peninsula and the Yarra Valley & everywhere in between for over 2 years now. All because a young woman made false claimes against me and made sure the word got out (along with a photograph of me to boot). The claimes were totally false, but every attempt at finding employment in the state of Victoria in the environmental Industry has fallen on deaf ears.

This kind of thing can happen in all industries & all it takes is one person with a grudge to make claims and bobs Ur Uncle..lol News travels fast in small circles.

Hi Ironclad,

Wow, perhaps you might want to consider some form of legal action for lost income and any other effects this has had on you. Perhaps some media involement might help too. It sound like this horrible woman needs to be taught some painful lessons about making false claims. The employers who were stupid enough to listen to her also need their reputations destroyed.

I'm not a lawyer, so you'll need to check things out with a qualified person.

Perhaps employers should focus on the destruction of real perpetrators and let the good people get on with their lives.

Food for thought.

Michaela

I had an interview today for a facilities clerk position and late this afternoon they called me and told me they wanted me to take a medical assessment at their expense tomorrow.

I've never had to take one before and I am also unsure why they want me to take one. Does this mean I have a fair chance at the job, and what sort of things do they want to find out from the medical? (I'm also quite nervous about it because I'm in the middle of a pretty severe cold so I probably won't be able to do too much running or physical activity)

Quote Originally Posted by Jobseeking View Post
    I had an interview today for a facilities clerk position and late this afternoon they called me and told me they wanted me to take a medical assessment at their expense tomorrow.

I've never had to take one before and I am also unsure why they want me to take one. Does this mean I have a fair chance at the job, and what sort of things do they want to find out from the medical? (I'm also quite nervous about it because I'm in the middle of a pretty severe cold so I probably won't be able to do too much running or physical activity)
    Sounds good! In my experience they very rarely do them unless they have something planned for you. They're normally not very onerous (though it can vary!). They're just looking to make sure that there are no major issues rather than assessing your athletic ability.