Default Supporting employees to quit smoking

Does anyones company do anything to support employees quitting smoking? Employees have asked me if the company would reimburse them for things like Champix prescriptions but not sure what the legalities of something like this is

TIA

Hi Emz,

I don't know any specific company that support employees to quit smoking however, I think it's a really good idea to provide something like this as part of your health/wellness program.

Good Luck,

Cheers
    Michaela

Default Quitober Challenge

I run a positive awareness campaign-month during October and am trying to get one going during May for World No Toabcco Day.
    These are challenge months similar to DryJuly and Febfast only for smokers to try quit for the month for starters and then go on to quit for good.

Unfortunately I do not promote or distrubute the use of Champix or Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), leaving it up to the individual to decide that for themselves.

What I can tell you is that most exsmokers quit successfully (over 70%) without the use of such drugs so I recommend unassisted quitting during our campaign.
    Chapman MacKenzie, Uni of Sydney Paper on "Neglect of Unassisted Cessation"

Smokers get the chance to quit with their mates in the same way that they started and receive a starter pack with the Quitober Positively Quit Manual, wristband, calendar stickers, online forum, newsletter and a chance to win incentive prizes.

We ran a second pilot in October 2010 and had 69 staff smokers participate with 27 (39%) managing to quit for the month. Real people with real stories of quitting.
    Quitober Challenge - Results of Positive Quit Smoking Month, Corporate Health AustraliaThese stories keep me going in trying to get a full blown campaign going even thoug I am totally unsupported by Quit, Cancer Council, or any government.

I am hoping that some day Quit will see that being more supportive to smokers is just as important as bans or scary TV ads.

Hi, I have also wanted to implement a non smoking program however when you talk about reimbursement of a perscription drug to assist quit smoking you may need to consider if an employee has an adverse side effect to the drug and the impact to the business. I like the idea and would also welcome feedback.

Default reimbursement of a perscription drug

Hi Roxie thanks for the feedback.
    I am not sure if I am understanding you Roxie.

I dont think I have mentioned reimbursing
    >you talk about reimbursement of a perscription drug to assist quit smoking
    I do the opposite, I don't include any type of drugs in my packs or recommend that they use any such drugs (that could impact on them). Just good clean fresh air, water, will power and a nice read of our Positively Quit Manual should help do the trick for at least 39% to quit for the month the rest is up to them after that as I do not have the resources to follow them up, unfortunately.

What do you call your program?

quitober,

I' m sorry my response was meant for Emz.