Default Learning and Development Books

Hi All,

I am thinking of creating a Learning and Development library but need some guidance. Could anyone suggest some good books in relation to general management practices?

Default Continuous Development

Hi MichelleK !

It would be great if u will do so. I'll suggest you to have look at some of the articles and stories which help in Continuous Development of the personality. It will surely help u in achieving your target of the digital library.

Mark Smith
    NJ

Hi Michelle what a great initiative!

Having a Learning and Development library I have found that it can be a great motivator for all staff and a great educational tool (including managers), ours is categorised under a number of topics, i.e. career change, change management, worklife balance etc. You may also wish to ask people what they would like to read.

If you're going to make this available electronically you may also consider including an area for technical skills such as the Microsoft Suite (linked to the free training modules available via the Microsoft website).

Have you thought about having a library stacked with books donated by staff? Borrowings would of course be based on an honest policy (e.g please return once read).

Cheers

Ivana
    Last edited by IvanaC; 01-06-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo

Hi MichelleK,

A great management text that I use for majority of my training is Management by Kris Cole. It is a great text that covers off all basic management such as performance management, labour management etc. If you are looking more for self help you may wish to consider your books such as "How to win friends and influence people" etc. Lots of these books around and you can pick these up at you local bookshop.

Getting Along with Colleagues.

A guide to employees on how to resolve issues and conflicts in the workplace which would also contain tips and ideas on effective management.

John Maxwell books are a great resource to add to your collection as well. It has helped a lot of our managers and acted as follow through when they went through the Developing the Leader within you Workshop we held for them.

MichelleK,

Sorry for the late reply but I just joined HR Buzz and your query leapt out at me. Our CEO has just released his first book (printed by Wiley in New York) titled 'Scores on the Board: the 5 Part System for Building Skills, Teams and Businesses.'

It's a life and business fable that gives you the tools to improve individual, team and organisational performance. Everyone will benefit from learning about the 5 part system – from front line customer service employees through to CEOs looking to increase growth and profitability. Best of all, the book gives HR Practitioners a tool to convey cutting edge management practices to Executives, as well as tips to ensure successful change management program implementation.

Through the journey of several everyday characters, the reader will learn how to apply the system so they get the most out of themself and others, and reach their goals faster.

To download your FREE first chapter, visit Scores on the Board - The Book.