Thread: Delayed Pays

Default Delayed Pays

We have a constant problem with our staff submitting their timesheets. We employ in-home carers to support aged and/or disabled clients in their own home. We have sent out reminders, spoken to them, emailed numerous times, including on the last occasion a list of the pay periods, and timesheet due dates. They are required in our office by noon Monday of the pay week (pay period finishes the previous Friday), to enable us to process the pays and invoice clients. The timesheets can be dropped off, faxed, or scanned and emailed, and in fact all four methods are used. Our Financial Controller processes the pays but is only in the office three times a fortnight, every Wednesday and the Friday of the pay week.

What are the implications of if the timesheets are not in by the pay preparation time, ie noon Monday, delaying the pay until the next fortnight. I suspect that we would only have to do it to a couple of times for the word to get out.

We had this problem with contractors we used to employ at different client sites, whom we paid fortnightly. I discovered we had reached the point we were doing a pay run almost every day of the week, which in itself increased our costs.

Part of the problem was that the time sheets had to be signed by clients and some times they would tell the contractor to leave the time sheet on their desk and they would sign it and fax it to us. The trouble is the client sometimes didn't do what they said they would do, and the first thing the contractor knows about it is when they don't get paid. The authorised signatory being absent also caused delays. Then there was the lost time sheets and probably occasional "my dog ate my timesheet" excuse!

I have no doubt there were instances where is was the contractor simply forgetting to send it to us, but there were definitely cases where the contractor was not at fault.

Like you, we thought about simply telling contractors if they miss the pay run then they had to wait until the next one, but this results in some very unhappy people and the risk of the organisation getting a reputation as poor payers, and that was before social media and forums!

I'm sorry to say we did not find a solution and I came to the conclusion that unless we could be absolutely sure that it was contractor who was at fault, then it would be unfair and unwise to delay paying them until the next pay run.

I never investigated the legalities of it, however given that our contract of employment clearly stated the timesheet submission requirements I think we would have been okay from a legal perspective.

My experience was 10+ years ago, before 99% of the adult population had a mobile phone so I guess you could at least ring them up and ask if there a reason why the timesheet has not been submitted and give them the choice to submit it now or wait until the next pay run. Needless to say, you would want to make a note of calls made, date & time and what was said. This would at least give you a better understanding of the reasons why this was happening.

Thanks Moz, we used to use an Outlook system Redcoal to send sms's from our Outlook, sadly even with that, it wasn't enough. Our client's have to sign the timesheets too, but often the carer is one of a number with the same client, and most can send their timesheets in time. Oh well, I will wait until the Christmas New Year is over, and maybe give not paying a shot. I am reluctant to do this at this time of the year as most of our staff can ill afford not to be paid. 2013 is another year LOL.

Quite simply, if they don't get timesheets in on time, they don't get paid. You will find that after this happens once, you won't have that problem any longer! And the word will quickly spread!!

I have found that when things hit them in the hip pocket this usually brings about the required behavioural change.

Where possible, automate your payroll ie for those who regularly work x hours each pay period, have them on autopay. That will limit what has to go into the timesheet that payroll is having to customize. So with additional hours only impacted, employees understand they only get paid when timesheets are put in the the timeframe required.

Of course, having an automatic timekeeping system (think Kronos) would make it easier all round but you might not have that luxury

Tiger

Can I ask what the outcome of this was desbrooker? I.e. Did you initiate the cut-off proposal and potentially have employees learn by getting payed 2 weeks late?

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    Can I ask what the outcome of this was desbrooker? I.e. Did you initiate the cut-off proposal and potentially have employees learn by getting payed 2 weeks late?
    Hi Renee. I won't know until I get back to work mid January. I am in touch with my admin staff while I am overseas so I will let you know if anything happens otherwise i will be driving it when I get back. Des