Default Return of candidate profiling results - Required?

We use the Caliper profiling tool as a screen for senior roles. Recently an unsuccessful candidate requested the return of his Caliper results.

Are we required to do so under any relevant legislation?

Cool

I am not aware of any legislation which says you have to provide the results but there are several scenarios to consider:

1. If this guy is a current employee and is looking to further (stay with) his career with your organization, then I suggest it would be beneficial (both to him and to you) to provide him the results.

2. If just a recruitment tool you have used as one element to screening candidates for suitability, or not, then you could say outright that you own the 'licence' to administer these tests and the results remain your property and that it is your policy not to provide the results to candidates. I do however, think that could suggest a bit of meanness on your part. Anyone who does these tests I think has a right to know how they did, it can help them see things about themselves they may not have realised and thus help them in further job hunting.

So one way to compromise might be that you give it to him for a fee. Obviously you pay the test provider a fee to use/evaluate results so why not pass all or part of that fee on to the candidate? If he really wants it, he'll be happy to pay, or not!

I would also suggest, if you are not already doing this, that you make it clear (perhaps small print on the instructions they read before doing the test) that results are not given out but remain the property of your company or test provider OR, if you chose to have them pay, have that information up front as well.

Thanks very much Tiger.

So your're not going to give me the job and I have to pay to find out why?

I'm not going to be happy about that!

MCam, if you were happy to pay the costs in the first place as part of your recruitment process, then I do not believe you should then try to pass on the costs, or charge for the results as a disincentive to request them, which is in effect what you would really be doing.

Given the candidate has given up their time to do the test and presumably attend interviews, I think it is only right that they get to see the results of the testing.

Just a few other thoughts ....

Have you considered if the Privacy Act comes into play?

Can the information collected as part of the testing be considered "personal" information?
    If the results comprised indicators regarding my skills and personality I would argue that it is considered personal information.

If so then the candidate probably has the right to access that information.

MCam, what concerns do you have about giving the candidate the results?

It's a little after the fact however for future reference, you should have each candidate sign a consent form prior to undertaking any such assessment which outlines how (if any) feedback is given to them on their results. For example, it could be verbal feedback via your psychologist or a "candidate style" written report that the test provider can furnish you at minimal cost. It should also stipulate when this information is given eg: following a determination of their application for employment whether successful or unsuccessful etc. The main point is informed consent so there is no ambiguity. I would agree with the previous post that if the candidate has come on board or was an internal candidate then some feedback is very desirable for all parties and can be used as a development tool. In my experience, this is a professional and necessary way to undertake such selection processes and will hold you in good stead. From an ethical point of view, I would think that if a candidate undertakes the psych process in good faith, they deserve some clear feedback, however I know these practices differ widely in both orgainsation and outsourced psych providers.

Regards

Chris

Sonya, it is my absolute preference to provide the candidate the results - I would never consider charging them for it. However, my concern stems from the fact that there may be some exposure to the organisation with respect to selection bias.

I can't see how, but I was looking for input from the collective. My personal view is that it is likely 'personal information' and therefore should be made available.

Not familiar with the tool you have used, but I know that some providers of pyschometric testing prefer a different - presumably softer - version of the results is released to the candidate to the one provided to the employer.

I see Psychworks has mentioned something similar.