Default HR Professional from India moving to Perth

Hello All

I am a new member to this forum and I found this forum in the course of my research to understand the HR landscape in Australia
    I am moving to Perth on a Permanent Residency Visa and will be in Perth end of June 2012
    I have a decade's experience in the function in India and my last role was a senior management role in the Indian Operations for an UK based MNC.
    I am seeking insights from fellow members of this forum on a few questions that I have
    1) How is the job market for HR professionals in Perth specifically?
    2) How kindly do recruiters take to new immigrants seeking HR Opportunities without local experience in Perth?
    3) How does the market respond to someone who has as much experience as I have but is flexible and open to looking at junior to mid level HR positions to gain the local experience? ( I ask this because there is a tendency to reject candidates in India if they are seen as overqualified%2
    Last edited by pradiprn; 11-06-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Hi,

Hope you have reached Perth.
    I am from India as well and recently moved to Perth. I have over 3 years of HR experience in multinational organizations. I have just started looking out for opportunities here and wanted to understand how your search has been going on. I am sure you should be finding it easy having a decade's experience in this function.
    I have had some positive and negative responses so far, and the process has been slow with June being the financial year end. I was looking out for inputs from Indians with good HR experience on how to go about with the hunt. Your inputs will be really helpful.

I wish I had something positive to say. Sadly however I don't considering I haven't even been able to meet consultants forget companies. All I have seen so far are negative responses.

So if you have had positive response, that is encouraging. I hope things work out well soon.

Smile

I think your situation will be challenging. Whilst not Perth based, I can't comment on the state of the HR jobs market in WA.
    However, I can say that evaluating CVs where there is no local experience in HR, those without it don't get past first base with me. Fact is that HR professionals require a lot of legislative legal knowledge in order to function in what has increasingly become an over-legislated country. This problem is compounded by the fact that no two states in Australia have the same employment legislation and guidelines. And Western Australia again, is rather unique with its high work force on fly in/fly out arrangements in the majority industry, mining.

Assumption is thus made (by a recruiter) that if you have not worked in Australia, you don't have the local knowledge. I therefore suggest that whilst you might have had big jobs in another country, it counts for little here and I recommend that you enrol yourself in some kind of bridging program in a TAFE or other institution to first get a local qualification. Then I think you may be more successful going for short term contract roles to gather small chunks of local experience before you can expect to land a job that you think fits in with your leval of experience.

The overqualified bit does apply but for me, it is more about the local experience level when I review CVs. Applying for a low level job may not bring you the results you want which is why I recommend short term contracts - it is a good way to get your foot in the door and get some variety to your local learning. Another option might be to take a stint in the Recruitment Industry (as a Recruitment Consultant) to get started.

Good luck.

Thanks Tiger

That's what I am doing. I have enrolled for a diploma program at the local TAFE. What gets me is that I am not applying for senior roles. My applications are for operational roles and even there for part time jobs. I also went through a workshop on employment relations and no surprise the laws are similar to that in India only with better structure and onsolidation. But I guess the market out here is not willing to invest in training or developing and wants experienced hands to hit the ground running. That is ironical considering the fact that there is a shortage of HR professionals which is why I assume the occupation is on the skill shortage list
    Sales is not something I enjoy and so haven't really focussed on recruitment consultant jobs. Maybe I should now look at trainee consultant jobs and take it from there

Hi

I hope your search is going well. Have you considered HR Consultancy? - there is a multitude of small and medium sized businesses (5 - 199 employees) within Australia and Perth that crave HR guidance. There are groups who can assist you on the sales side if that is a concern of yours.

Hi,

My name is Niranjali. I have recently migrated to Perth with a PR. I am also from India and facing similar problem. I tried applying to HR Consulting Firms, but havent got a good response. Is taking up a course the only solution ? Will these courses be of any help?

On this subject, I provide a training course to TAFE students here in NSW on how to get a job.

Here are my suggestions,
    1. carry out any sort of bridging course you can get into. This will ensure that you are familiar with the Federal and State based legislations.
    2. Build a list of organisations that are similar to your background. We are looking for transferable industry knowledge and a line of least resistance.
    3. Use linkedin to find the most senior person in these organisations, CEO, and HRD.
    4. Send them a personal hand written letter stating you situation and you have identified them due to your back ground and you want to work for free for 1 month to get experience. Please make sure this letter is legible and has no grammatical errors. Also include a brief CV with only your responsibilities and accomplishments. No photos, no information on your interests etc.
    5. If you do not receive a reply send a follow up letter in 2 weeks.

Hope it helps

Steve

Thanks Steve for your advice. I will definately incorporate your suggestion in my job search.

Niranjali.

Thanks Steve for your advice. I will definately incorporate your suggestion in my job search.

Niranjali.