Default HR career for immigrant: how to start

Hello,

Me and my family are going to move to Australia from Russia next year. I am 26 and I have near 5 years experience in HR in different companies I was responsible for recruitment, HR admin, training and development functions. I even have a managerial experience (for 1.5 years I lead HR Department with 10 subordinates), and now I am HR generalist. As far as I understand it will be nearly impossible to find the same positions as I have no local experience, but I am ready to even entry level positions. So that's why i have several questions and will be happy if I receive answers . The questions are:

1. What should I know about HR legislation: is there any labor code and where to familiarize with it?
    2. What are the most common entry level positions in HR?
    3. Can you recommend any training course to get in touch with local HR features (in Perth will be the best).
    4. Which ways of job seeking are the most common (I know about SEEK, but I suppose there should be another web-sites, and probably other ways of job seeking except web-search, such as placement service or similar)?
    5. Is there any professional certification for HR professionals?

Thank you in advance!

1. You will need to become very familar with the 'Fair Work Act', the Equal Opportunity Act and grasp an understanding of our OHS laws as they are in the midst of changing and a new legislation has been created.
    2. The most common entry level position from a generalist perspective is as an 'HR Administrator' - followed by 'HR Co-ordinator', 'HR Assistant/Advisor', HR Consultant, HR Manager and so on.
    3. Unsure as I am from Melbourne
    4. Again, I am unsure of any HR specific recruiters in the west.
    5. Yes, you can obtain your bachelors degree, majoring in HR. You can also undertake post grad studies.

Good luck and enjoy Australia!

Thank you so much for your reply and sorry for so long delay from my side, but i have additional questions, could you please clarify some more.

1. Thanks so much, I will find and study these docs. Is there some instruction or so something for HR administrative function (what information and docs need to be collected from employee when hiring, how all this should be kept, etc.)?
    2. Thanks
    3. But is it common trainings? For instance here in Russia we have lots of trainings centers that could learn you how to work should be done if you are HR administrator. And a length of such courses is from 2 days to several weeks. I want to learn more about HR administrative function and local features in a reasonable time (1 month is the best), is it real?
    4. I meant not specific HR recruiters, but general ones. Which are more common?
    5. Thanks!

Hi

My apologies if I am hijacking this thread. I am a new immigrant Alex is and the information you have provided is useful.

I was wondering if you could point to useful online resources that can provide explanations and information on Fair Work Act, Equal Opportunity Act and OHS regulations. I have been looking at the bare-bones act but would like to read more about how they are interpreted and applied in reality.