Default Human Resources, entry level role within the Sydney area

Hello, my name is Robert, I am seeking an entry level Human Resources position. I graduated from TAFE in 2010 with an Advanced Diploma of Management (Human Resources) and won the most outstanding student for the Diploma of HR from AHRI and WSI TAFE NSW. I also have an Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management, Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and also I am currently studying at Charles Sturt University in a Bachelor of Business Studies (Part-time evenings).

I have applied for 482 HR positions within the greater Sydney area since November 2010 resulting in a few interviews with no job opportunity. I have actively participated in volunteer HR work with NGO's, and have 20 years experience within the manufacturing, training and hospitality industries at line level. I am punctual, speak fluent english (I am Australian), hardworking, well groomed, have advanced Microsoft office skills, proficient people and communication skills, strong ethical and moral judgement (inline with AHRI's ethics and code of conduct), good planning and time management skills.

I have an absolute passion for HR, and I would like to utilise my HR skills to contribute in achieving effectiveness, efficiency and productivity at the individual, group and organisational levels. If anyone would know of any organisation that would have an opportunity at an entry level position, please feel free to respond to my post. I would have no problems working on a trial basis with no pay for a short term until I can prove my worth.

I have been unemployed for almost 9 months and I would take any opportunity if one should arise. Thank you for reading my post.

Robert, I commend you on your Academic qualifications and your unwavering focus on getting a HR role. I have only one piece of advice for you. Don't deal with recruitment firms, deal directly with employers. At this time I would recommend you map out and focus on medium businesses and express to them what value you can bring their organisation. Do some research on what their prime focus is and exploit it in terms of how your skills can improve productivity and the culture within the workplace. Good luck on your search and I hope you find something soon.

Thankyou for your reply , it seems that the only interviews that I get are from employers direct, I always research the company before hand, prepare questions, address their performance criteria on how I can best use my skills to improve the productivity, culture, employee engagement and over all intrinisic motivation of employees, though my biggest obstacle is lack of experience.

Well i'd have to say Robert that you are one of the rare ones. All I ever hear is prospects being given the run around by recruitment agencies, and being unsuccessful because of the lack of academic qualifications If you adapt yourself to each employer then it sounds like the only thing you have left is to do the opposite Don't research. Don't prepare. Answer questions off the cuff. Sounds like it certainly can't do you any harm Good luck and keep trying.....

Well, I have long term objectives, For a 36 year old, a career change in HR is not only challenging but it is going to be hard for me to secure a position. I guess to be even considered for an admin or coordinators position I am probably going to have to do a masters in HRM before I get lucky, then they will have a look at my age most probably tell me I am to old and over qualified without enough experience. I am looking at starting an 8 subject masters, partime next year at the University of Newcastle then maybe something in adult education, if i cannot get into HR, and just teach business at a school or something I don't know, but I just feel disappointed and frustrated about how hard it is to get into HR. What gets me is when I goto uni on the train and ask for directions at the train station, employees cannot even speak English, but alas they have jobs with the state government, no education and seem to fair well.

I just wanted a change and try the best I can, I am a firm believer in diversity don't get me wrong, and I am aware that diversity is an asset within a business, but if you cannot instill good customer service competencies within your staff, then how can your business be profitable? No wonder the government infrastructure within NSW is so far behind the times, and in the end business has to foot the bill. I know a lot of Australian born university students at the moment who have graduated and finding it hard to get a start in business.

I guess if I cannot find anything after I finish my masters, I will probably goto China or somewhere else overseas to get a good price for my skills. The government has to ask themselves why there is a skill shortage? where is the talent going from Australia? All of these silly IR laws, lack of collaboration with business to solve economic ways to help small business owners keep manufacturing within Australia is only some of the problems we face today.

We need investment in new infrastructure, new sustainable modern innovatiove industries, long term cost effective strategies that solve environmental issues within business, and most of all employers need to relise that some of the best talent comes from older people within the work force, not in skilled migration. The population is getting older and still organisations will not facilitate a way to promote further learning and development for the mature workforce; The hospitality industry is a classic example of this. Everything in NSW anyways seems behind the times, the newly regulated IR system is damaging industries and business and it is all going to China! I guess the Australian Labor party needs to learn what sustainable, innovation, further learning and development is!

Hi Robert,
    I want to get out of HR but I'm trapped....aaaaaagh!
    Why do so many people want to get into HR? I'm interested in the appeal of it. Perhaps if you knew the reality of it, you wouldn't be so keen. By the way, the "silly HR laws" is how HR operates. If you don't want to work within them or find them silly, HR may not be for you. It is because HR has become so IR focussed that I want to run from work every day screaming.

Well People Person you just reinforced my position and constant struggle to educate people that HR and IR are totally different disciplines