Default Looking for HR opportunities in Perth

Hi,

I am currently in Queensland looking for career opportunities in Perth. I am highly qualified with 13 years HR experience (which 7 is in HR Management). I have immigrated 18 months ago to Oz and find that in Queensland they first appoint Queenslanders, the Aussies, then Kiwi's and then the rest?? I have heard this from recruiters and have experienced it myself. In the past 6 months I have been declined without an interview for more than 100 positions (all of them was on my level of skills). does Perth have the same problem?

I know from experience that Queenslanders are every parochial. Anyone from NSW or Victoria are referred to by Queenslanders as Mexicans!

I can't speak for Perth but I would assume they would be a bit more broad minded given the massive influx people of the last few years. Trouble is it's a long way to go to find out!

Thanks Moz, going to visit Perth end of Jan. to see whats going on there. I noticed you have been in the recruitment game.........what are most of them looking for when recruiting for a role, and why do they decline you (more suitable candidates???) for a role if you are a perfect fit (knowledge, skills, experience, salary etc) for the role?

Hi Rosalie,

Perth is far more broad minded than Queensland, and we do not refer to people from other states as Mexicans. However, like most places there are still people who employ Australians first, although I have supervised junior HR people from Asia who were more hard working than we Aussies, as well as valuable contributors.

If you are going to come to Perth, do some research on the job markets here and check out our Chamber of Commerce re business issues here at Chamber of Commerce & Industry Western Australia. Many HR roles currently being advertised are in the mining, oil, and gas industries, along with HSE and recruitment. Our State Government also has a jobs board, which advertises roles that may suit you. Go to JOBS.WA.GOV.AU - Employment opportunities with the W.A. government .

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers
    Michaela

Thanks Michaela for your response

OK, so for the new year there is a new approach to crack the Ozzie market. I have 14 years of extensive experience in HR.....unfortunately not the mining industry. I will find something new this year, a job that challenges me, that gives me opportunities for growth and that satisfy all my needs.

In my cover letter, I usually write specific to the job that I apply for. This I will keep on doing. The advice I need is...........seeing that I am an emmigrant (South Africa), should I try and use this to my advantage by mentioning something like having international experience will be a bonus to the company as I have worked with many different cultures (Also worked in the UK), I might have, apart from the normal, different approaches which could add value to the business. Being South African (oops I have German blood in me as well!!), I am very assertive, highly driven to succeed and very open minded. Should I mention that I believe in equal opportunities, and that I don't believe that Queenslandrs should get preference or for that matter any state candidates. I believe in fairness and that the best candidate should get the position. Should I mention that I have left my beloved country, and adopted this country, embraced it culture, history and sport teams!!! ......................or should I just sit back and wait for the tide to turn and hit me with "Luck"?????

Hey Roelie,

It's good to see you are maintaining a positive attitude. Whatever you do don't just sit back and wait for the tide to turn. It's important that you get a HR job sooner rather than later. Employers and recruiters tend to worry about people who have been out of work for a long time, not necessarily for any good reason.

I believe the custom cover letter is worthwhile, particularly if it is well crafted and is designed to subtly "sell" yourself to the reader. I wouldn't mention anything about equal opportunity or your experiences in Qld.

Do mention that you are enjoying living in Australia, embracing the culture etc etc, and all you need now is the right job!

Some employers have concerns that immigrants may not successfully settle in their new country. This is actually a valid concern.

BTW, you're an emmigrant from South Africa and an immigrant to Australia.

Just noticed this previous message;
    Quote Originally Posted by Roelie View Post
    I noticed you have been in the recruitment game.........what are most of them looking for when recruiting for a role, and why do they decline you (more suitable candidates???) for a role if you are a perfect fit (knowledge, skills, experience, salary etc) for the role?
    Many, if not most recruiters, focus on the easiest route to "place" someone in a job with their "client" (the employer). That's what pays their wages. So if they have good local candidates with relevant experience their view may be "why bother (waste my time) with candidates who don't have any local experience".

Be aware also that they will have a six month guarantee clause, whereby they have to find a replacement free of charge if you "drop out" within 6 months, it may be even longer. So some might take the view that recent immigrants represent a higher risk.

Recruiters are often aware of a certain bias or preference that their client has, (discrimination is alive and well), which they are not going to tell you or publicise in an advert. Back in the 1990 recession I had a client who said to me "stop sending me Asian candidates, times are tough and I'd rather employ Aussies". We're 20 years on now and things have improved but there will always be some discrimination in every country.

Sometimes the bias may be quite legitimate. They may believe they need someone with specific experience. Personally I believe the person fit is more important but as they say, "the client is always right". But this also may not be included in the ad, because recruiters often write an ad to draw candidates for more than one job, so they avoid "over qualifying" the ad.

I would also advise you to approach companies directly (lots!). Find out who the more/most senior HR people are and write to them directly, then follow up with a phone call, just to make sure they received your letter

I hope this helps.
    Moz

PS. Have you considered working in Melbourne or Sydney, where the vast majority of HR jobs are actually located?

Hi Moz,

Thanks for the valuable advice. I actually am working at this stage........just more than a year with this company, but looking for something else, something more challenging and better benefits. I guess most immigrants, like myself, need to start somewhere and it is usually at the bottom :-) which I don't mind.

Melbourne/Sydney does not appeal to me, maybe I should go and visit and see if I could live there.

Once again, thank you!!