Default Motor Vehicle Policy

We are trying to implement a New motor vehicle policy for our sales reps that have company vehicles. We would like to put in a 0% bac ruling for all vehicles, similar to what the mines have to go onsite. Has anyone got experience in this area and can advise the best way to go about it, or where to look? Initial discussions with senior mgt have given us some road blocks as there is a fairly large drinking culture amungst the sales team and before we spend the money looking legal I though I would try my luck here first?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi RR1

Do your sales people travel high work kilometres, that is more than 20,000 work Km's per year? These days most organisations have moved away from providing company cars and use novated leases or a negative gearing arrangement. These are more effective especially where the employee completes a log book.

You don't say, but measures such as a vanilla car, some salary sacrifice for personal use of the company car can encourage employees to get their own car and not take the company car. What are your current policies regarding loss of license for a drink driving offence? Do you plan to put in place a testing process? Some of these processes are very onerous and the key question is what do you hope to achieve with the changes? They can cause plenty of pain without much gain.

Sorry this reply has plenty of questions as these changes can be difficult to put in place and require careful thought. With some more detail I could provide some more direct thoughts.

Regards Tasman

RR1,

I have some questions too;

What are your reasons are to have a 0% bac policy?
    how you intend to enforce it?
    is it practical for your sales reps - do they entertain customers, such as take them out for lunch?
    do staff have private use of the company vehicle?

If you are going down the route of drug and alcohol/fitness for work you need a trigger in the motor vehicle policy and then a completely separate policy and procedure.....make it a good one though because you are entering some murky territory....

Firstly, thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated!!! The details are:
    All the vehicles will travel more than 20k per year
    If caught drink driving i.e. in excess of state law is instant dismissal
    Don't think we can test effectively
    reason for 0% bac due to reduction in liability and improve safety
    Enforce it - I'm at a loss as to how we can?
    We do entertain, and attend functions such as trade shows where alcohol is usually served
    They can use the cars privately
    Very murky territory, would really like to know where we stand legally if anyone has the experience?
    Thanks again guys!!!

If you want to take it off line I am happy to send you a template policy and procedure and step you through it....you will need to engage a testing provider and commit to enforcing it equitably through the workforce or your going to be behind the eight ball before you even start.....

Default Motor Vehicle Policy

Perhaps you could do it in the form of a "Company Vehicle Agreement" signed by each person driving a vehicle - that works well for us. It is much easier to go with the legal limit than push for zero - no one can battle you for the legal limit.

Some additional information, you will need a certified tester to perform the testing. Occupational Health Nurses do a 1 day drug and alcohol testing course, so that they can perform the tests on site. So if you are going to use them for the testing they can provide you with certified results, which you may need if a larger issue arises where there is a positive result. Additionally it is of note that the breath alcohol testing units need to be tested every 6 months, in order to certify the accuracy of the machine. If the machine is not calibrated then the results can not stand up when questioned. Hope that helps.