PDA

View Full Version : Do i have to sign a new Letter Of Offer -LOO

mick
28-11-2018, 10:54 PM
I have been working for a company as a clerk for just over 10 years part time with a minimum of 30 hours per week (new employees are guarantied 15 hours) , on commencing employment I signed a Letter Of Offer, recently I was informed that I was only a few employees left on this LOO, now my employer wants me to sign a new Letter of offer with the starting date of employment 2018, I am worried about a few things as no information as to why I need to sign a new LOO has been given , I am told I have to sign the new contract ,do I have a choice ?

Moz
30-11-2018, 11:46 AM
No, you don't have to sign it. Your employer cannot unilaterally change your employment conditions without your agreement.

Tiger
30-11-2018, 03:47 PM
I have been working for a company as a clerk for just over 10 years part time with a minimum of 30 hours per week (new employees are guarantied 15 hours) , on commencing employment I signed a Letter Of Offer, recently I was informed that I was only a few employees left on this LOO, now my employer wants me to sign a new Letter of offer with the starting date of employment 2018, I am worried about a few things as no information as to why I need to sign a new LOO has been given , I am told I have to sign the new contract ,do I have a choice ?

Actually, it is not uncommon for employers who have out of date employment contracts to update them to reflect the Fair Work Act and the NES and, possibly, include other clauses related to policies (which may not have been applicable decade(s) ago) which are introduced/reviewed/updated all the time, as they should be.

These conditions will apply anyhow irrespective of whether you sign or not.

If your employer is initiating a change in you hours or actual job and you have not been consulted with let alone agreed to the changes, then no, you don't sign. Any basic changes such as this must be discussed and if there is agreement then a Variation to the EC would be given to the employee and, having agreed, you would obviously sign it. Keep in mind that in this scenario, it often happens that the employee does not agree which then leads to the job as it was being done, no longer being required and thus becomes redundant which could mean retrenchment for the incumbent employee if an alternate job is not available.
Tiger