PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment Police Checks

unlucky13
25-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Hello

I heard that all recruiters must do a mandatory police check for all applicants including their own staff. Is that true ?

What exactly can they see when a police check is received ? i heard they can see everything including previous employment and access to tax records to verify any work history

Job Media
25-03-2018, 09:20 PM
I heard that all recruiters must do a mandatory police check for all applicants including their own staff. Is that true ?

No, it's not true.

What exactly can they see when a police check is received ? i heard they can see everything including previous employment and access to tax records to verify any work history

The Police can only report on criminal convictions; this does not include any information regarding work history or tax records, or anything else!

I don't know where you are hearing this stuff, but it's not a reliable source of information.

HRMgr
26-03-2018, 08:34 AM
It is a certificate style document stating any criminal convictions. You are able to purchase one for yourself, they cost around $70

Tiger
27-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Police Reports may not be worth the money quite frankly. For jobs in security or finance (including Payroll), they are a good idea. No law says you have to do them and besides, harder these days to terminate someone on basis of jail time!!!
However, these reports are only as good as the most recent Court conviction history. In Australia, cases can take years to go to Court so if someone has been charged with an offence which has not yet gone to Court, it will not be captured in the Police Check. A few years ago, a retailer I know woke up to newscast that an employee who'd been with her for one year had been sent to Jail for stealing from previous employer. Retailer obviously had poor recruitment practice, did not ask the right questions, nor did they have such a question on their application form -- made it harder for Retailer to terminate under Fair Work for lying by omission.
Tiger