PDA

View Full Version : fast food outlet award

Fabsteel
28-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi

My friends daughter works for a fast food outlet and recently was saying that she works all day on a Sunday but only gets paid double time for 4 hours
the rest get averaged with the rest of her shifts as normal time. Has anyone come across this before as I haven't.
She is employed as a casual though orginially when she started she said something about being part time with 20 hours.
Recently she also had to be taken to hospital and they gave her a medical certificate for two days but her boss wouldn't accept it from the hospital and
reduced her shifts for the next fortnight when she asked for two days to recuperate.
I advised her to check out her employment contract to see what the conditions of employment were but she said they didn't get one which I thought was strange.
Also advised that maybe needs to ask what award/agreement she is paid under and whether she is casual or parttime.. then contact fairwork or franchise head office.
My friend advised they had asked and the boss/owner was quite agressive and swore at them.
I suggested that maybe seeking another position would be a good move...
I am looking into the modern award for hospitality to see what I can glean here.. but any help or advice on how to proceed would be appreciated especilly if you had
come across this averaging shifts before.

bullswool
08-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fast+food+award)

From this award (MA000003), Sunday rates are only X1.5, not double time. So although the employer has an odd way of explaining the Sunday pay (i.e. 4 hours at double time and the rest is averaged) they might actually be getting the correct amount - if not more than what is due.

With regards to sick time and hours being cut - if she is a casual employee that is the nature of the employment. Casual hours can be varied from week to week. You are right to be checking employment contract and asking for a copy of the Award. But honestly, it would probably be easier just to find a new job than travel down the FW road and reporting the employer and everything that comes with that...