PDA

View Full Version : Top Up Payments for Dad & Partner Pay

bullswool
21-01-2014, 01:30 PM
I require your thoughts on the processing of Dad and Partner Pay (DPP) – specifically I have been asked to investigate the possibility of processing a top up payment to supplement the DPP. For example, pay the difference between the DPP and the employee’s normal wage.

As you would know the payment is at the minimum wage and it is administrated and paid by Centrelink/Dept. of Human Services.

As I see it, firstly there would be an issue of timing. Because there is a delay in the Government receiving and processing PPL and DPP forms there is no way of telling when the government will make their payment. So it would be impossible for the employer to time their top-up payments to coincide with DPP payments - how would you deal with this?

Secondly, as the DDP payments might be weeks after the birth of the baby, how does one account for the parental leave when the Dad is absent from work. Process as annual leave and reverse the annual leave when DPP is paid? Process as normal and get the employee to pay over money received from DPP (like jury duty)?

Sounds tricky – I hope somebody has some experience with this – your help is appreciated.

Tiger
25-01-2014, 01:29 PM
The two weeks DAD's PPL pay added to the legislation about a year ago is paid by Centrelink to the employee direct unlike the arrangement for women going on P/L where employer has to act as the payer (although that is planned to change also 1/7/2015 when the new PPL is introduced). You, the employer are under no obligation to top up the DAD'S Pay -- and in fact you are not involved with it as it is the Dad to has to apply etc. You just have to give him the two weeks off.
I have seen some businesses with Dads who either can't get it (earn too much??) or can't be bothered, at which time they take the time off as annual leave. Note however it does not come under Personal Carer's Leave - I've had employers ask that question because some Dad's think it is.

My advice to simplify payroll, is Dad is getting paid by Centrlink and thus on LWOP from his job OR he is on A/L and you are paying him A/L.

Tiger

bullswool
28-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks Tiger, you echo my thoughts! Paid by Cebtrelink, let sleeping dog lie.

My employer has asked that I think about the option to provide top-up pay. I think I'll report back that the complexity of providing the top-up is outweighed by the benefit that it might provide - unless others can convience otherwise....?