PDA

View Full Version : Help with Selection criteria - what does "establishment management" mean to you?

Banger
23-08-2013, 12:32 PM
There is one question in an application im writing that im totally stuck on.

The question is: "Extensive experience in HR analytics, report design and writing and establishment management"

The analytics, report design and writing part im good with, but I have no idea what they are referring to with "establishment management". I have never heard of this term used before in HR! I dont want to submit a half answered response.

What on earth do you think they are talking about?

Can anyone HELP PLEASE!!!

Qld IR Consultant
23-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Was it written by a recruiter or the company directly?

Banger
23-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Was it written by a recruiter or the company directly?
Directly. Its local government application.

Moz
23-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Directly. Its local government application.

So not a mistake by a dumb recruiter then ;)

Qld IR Consultant
23-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, I googled it and got this for Qld. Not sure where you are but I assume it means the same.....Gotta love government ramblings.....

Establishment Management - Public Service Positions - Version 02 (http://www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au/Resources/Procedures/Support_Services/documents/spsproestabmgt.shtml)

Moz
23-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22establishment+management%22)

Banger
23-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Well, I googled it and got this for Qld. Not sure where you are but I assume it means the same.....Gotta love government ramblings.....

Establishment Management - Public Service Positions - Version 02 (http://www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au/Resources/Procedures/Support_Services/documents/spsproestabmgt.shtml)

Thankyou!
So it seems its to do with amendments to positions and staffing. Phew I most certainly have had that experience, just not by that name!

Wow that's seems to be a huge amount to include in just one criteria! Gosh now ive got to think of some examples....

Banger
23-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Just one other question (if anyone is still on here)

As HR professionals, do you think that it is acceptable to use multiple examples to answer a single criteria?

So for example in my answer I might describe one example that demonstrates HR analytics, report design and writing. And another example that demonstrates establishment management.

Tiger
23-08-2013, 10:45 PM
No, select one good example and focus on that. They can always ask you for more examples at interviews on important areas to them. The longer a written application, the less likely the reader is to really read it -- it's called speed reading and when one has dozens of applications.... you get my drift.
Tiger

Banger
24-08-2013, 01:23 PM
No, select one good example and focus on that. They can always ask you for more examples at interviews on important areas to them. The longer a written application, the less likely the reader is to really read it -- it's called speed reading and when one has dozens of applications.... you get my drift.
Tiger

Thanks. The problem is however, that i don't really have a strong example that covers ALL aspects of that question.

Tasman McManis
24-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks. The problem is however, that i don't really have a strong example that covers ALL aspects of that question.

I wouldn't get too hung up on this it is just another term for headcount control. Most of us who have been in HR for a while have been involved in processes to control headcount. If you have ever worked for a US headquartered organisation you will know they rigorously control headcount as a way make sure the people costs are kept under control.

Good luck with the application Banger!

Kam Radzikowski
27-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi Banger,

If I was shortlisting, I would favour a response that addressed all parts of the criterion, even if each part was addressed by a unique example.

Kam Radzikowski

lmloakes
29-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Hi there, I just joined the forum, and it may be too late for your application, but in a government context, Establishment Management means looking after the establishment of a government organisation. This would generally be done using their HRIS system, and would include creating new positions, abolishing positions that are no longer required, possibly moving positions within the organisation, and working with managers who are authorised to make changes to their areas.

Government is very particular about their FTE numbers. This means full time equivalent positions, and funding for positions is directly correlated to the number of approved FTE positions.

Hope this helps.