PDA

View Full Version : Masters Thesis Project: Executive Search (Recruiting) and Professional Online Networking (e.g. LinkedIn)

Jue
06-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi, I'm currently completing my Master of Psyhcology (Organisational) degree at the University of New South Wales. As part of my studies, I'm looking for working adults (especially those in the HR space) to participate in a study looking at executive search (recruiting) and the use of professional online networking sites (e.g. LinkedIn). If you are interested in participating in the study, please click on this link (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KFZ3X8W) to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire should take approximately 15 minutes, and no more than 30 minutes, to complete. Your participation will be greatly appreciated.

admin
06-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Hello Jue, are you willing to share your survey findings with us?

Jue
06-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Hello Jue, are you willing to share your survey findings with us?

Yes, most definitely!

Furthermore, all responses collected from participants will be de-identified and aggregated to form the final results, which may be published in academic journals, theses, dissertations, or academic meetings. Any information that is obtained in connection with this study and that can be identified with the participant will remain confidential and will be disclosed only with the participant’s permission or except as required by law. All data collected will be stored for a minimum of 7 years in a secure location.

On completion of the study, a post will be made informing the HR Buzz community members of its completion. The post will include a brief summary of the findings and the contact details of the researchers should the HR Buzz member want to find out more about the findings.

The proposed time frame for gathering data from subjects is between the 1st July 2013 and 31st August 2013. The study is expected to be completed on 1st November 2013.

The study has been approved by the UNSW Human Research Ethics Advisory Panel (Psychology) with the approval number 2056.

Moz
08-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Jue,

I started doing your survey, but it's a bit flawed in my opinion as an ex commercial recruiter.

In Question 5 I am required to rate my perception of Bob's competency and suitability for the advertised role.

With the minimal information available I wouldn't yet have any perceptions of Bob's competency or suitability.

I would definitely be calling Bob for a chat, and it's highly likely I would want to meet with him because he will very likely be of interest for this role or a similar one with another client (I know these skill sets are in demand).

So for the first two parts of question 5 I can't really give you an honest answer (you need to add a Not Applicable option).

I can answer the third part - "How likely you are to contact Bob for a meeting", but the survey won't allow me to continue without answering the first two parts of the question.

If I had a detailed resume it would be a different story, I would then at least be able to form some opinions about Bob's likely competencies and suitability.

Incidentally, I can see where you are going with this and I think it's a very interesting study, but it will only be of value if you ask the right questions to gather the data :)

Jue
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi Moz,

Thank you for looking at the survey. You are definitely correct in saying that more information (eg in the form of a resume) is needed in order to make a more accurate judgement on the candidate's competency and suitability.

However, even with the very minimal information provided, one should still have some opinion on a candidate's competency and suitability. The questionnaire is looking at your judgement based on the very minimal information provided. There's a number of reasons why I've kept the profiles basic, but I won't go into those in the interest of the study.

If you still cannot make that call, then please select 4 on the rating scale, as it would indicate a neutral answer.

I am really interested in the responses from recruiters and ex-recruiters. If I can get a large enough sample of recruiters, then ideally I'd like to compare the recruiter's responses to the general public's responses. Hence your responses to the questionnaire would be very valuable! If you have the time again, it would be greatly appreciated if you could complete the survey. :)

Cheers,
Jue