PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos in the workplace

fijipat
04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Should staff with tattoos cover them up when in uniform? does anyone have any experience with this? Appreciate your thoughts.

NicoleAnita
04-04-2013, 02:40 PM
It would depend on a few things. Are they in contact with the general public? Would the tattoos be considered offensive to some? Do you have a dress code policy and if so does it have anything in there that prohibits showing them?

Basically you will need to be mindful of the type of role your staff do. If they are an office worker who doesn't necessarily have any customer contact and the tatoo is not over the top or offensive and somebody complained I don't think that would be grounds to ask them to cover them up unless of course you have that dress code which outlines clearly what is and what isn't acceptable attire and they were aware of and trained in the policy when hired.

I have worked in manufacturing where most factory staff would have tattoos and it wouldn't really be an issue unless it was considered offensive. I have also had office staff with tattoos who would cover them up if they were in sales etc. Basically most people would cover them up as its not really seen as professional unless of course you work in an industry where its the norm.

Tiger
04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow, an interesting one! Depends on your point of view maybe. But reality is that probably half our blue collar workforces have them so why would you discriminate asking them to cover up? Would you do that with employees who have scars? What harm are they doing? Other than to your individual sensibilities perhaps?
There is no doubt however that if you have an ultra conservative leadership in your org, they may well be predisposed to no tats and if so, cover them up.

Alternatively, if such employees are in frontline roles ie with direct customer contact, it may be that visible tats do not send the right message and are at odds with your company's value system.
Certainly, employees in senior positions who have them. do cover them up (long sleeve shirts, ties, long trousers etc cover them up nicely in most cases) - it's only when some company team sporting event occurs that you realise they have them.

I think that tattoos have become more popular over the years and many wear them with pride.
You need to look at the job the person is doing, the industry type of your organization (a blokey org is eg motor industry may be more accepting then, say, an investment bank) and where your senior leadership sits on this topic.
Asking someone in a factory job to cover up a tat could lead to safety issues if it means the PPE they wear is impeded.
Again, an interesting topic
Tiger