PDA

View Full Version : Reference checking: Who are employers allowed to contact ?

Ant0nio
24-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Are recruiters / employers allowed to call a company and ask around about you, even when you specifically provide a mobile number to your prior manager.

As far as im aware under the privacy act they are only allowed to contact the person you provided.

Can they still contact say for example the HR dept of your prior employer and ask questions without your consent?

Cheers

Ant

Cottoneyes
25-03-2013, 09:44 AM
I would say you can call who you want...

However I'd be surprised if the company actually would answer your questions (not too mention you have no idea if the person answering has a bias they have towards the person). If they then chose to tell the prospective employee, it wouldn't look good for you

Moz
25-03-2013, 10:09 AM
I heard the Victorian Privacy Commissioner talking on ABC radio a couple of years ago and I am quite sure what she said confirmed your view Ant, that references should only be sought from referees nominated by the job seeker.

It would be good to know for sure.

Bear in mind however, that the employer is not required to accept those references. For example most employers would want references from people you reported "to" rather that worked "with" (peers).

EDIT/PS. As a recruiter I would be automatically be wary of calling referee on a mobile. Unless I had some way of verifying whom I was speaking to I would call the company switchboard and ask to speak to that person. Sometimes it's necessary to references check the referees!