PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Senior Leader to comply with Recruitment Guidelines

Gyro
21-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi There,

I implemented Recruitment, Selection and Induction guidelines over 12months ago which were signed off by the CEO. All Hiring Managers within the organisation follow the process from identifying a resourcing need through to onboarding however the one person I cannot get to follow protocol is the CEO who signed it off in the first place. The latest is that he wishes to promote someone to a very Senior position in the organisation but cannot articulate why it is so important plus we are going through an organisation review which is due for completiong by the end of June. We expect there may be some role changes as a result. I have tried to talk to the CEO and also advise that i cannot sign off the paperwork until the recruitment process is satisfied at least in part ie not advertise externally.

I can only see from the original position description that the role has been better articulated but the CEO is adamant that it is a promotion and it has to be processed URGENTLY.

I have tried repeatedly to reinforce the fact that if it is justified now that we need to give others in the organisation the opportunity to apply. I know that we have at least two other people that could meet the requirements, the response i have got from those comments is that the process is pointless, a waste of time and doesn't work as it never works in large organisations.

I guess what i am asking is if anyone out there has any tips on managing this situation, how to get through to this person being mindful that it is the CEO? I have already worked the angle of equal opportunity and the fact that we are mid an Org review with a resourcing and remuneration review hold pending outcomes from the review. what if the review indicates there is no need for the role. My concerns just don't seem to be getting through.

RFitzlion
24-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Firstly, your CEO sounds like a typical 'player', who likes to tell everyone he is complying when in fact he wants to do whatever he wants. He may also want to surround himself with 'his' own senior appointments that he trusts, etc. I also assume these RS&I guidelines apply to senior (all) appointments?

Secondly, your CEO may be a character who will keep you in mind if there is rationaising of positions, so dont bash him about as you will lose. Do your duty and let him know that what he is doing is not according to agreed policy/protocol but cover your backside and document it to him. e.g. an email or memo that says that his request is not in accordance with the agreed policy but you will follow his instructions as he is the CEO and you will do what he asks. I would also ensure that in that email/memo you also remind him that your job in HR is to protect him/the organisation from risk/s and in this instance by not taking your advice he is exposing himself to risks that you may not be able to protect him from.

I would ensure that the newly appointed/promoted is well publicised (go to great lengths to get it out electronically and verbally) throughout the company after it is complete and you can bet your hat that those who believe they are suited for the position but did not see an advertisement or get a shot at the job will feel aggrieved. You can only hope that they will let their feelings be known and access a 'grievance' process or 'complaints' process if you have one or challenge in some way. I would also ensure that the RS&I guidelines are free for all to see.

Its a tough situation to be in but dont make it you Vs the CEO.......you know who will win. If you (or the aggrieved) make it appear that the CEO is ignoring guidelines that everyone else has to follow then that may be enough to put pressure on your CEO (or not).

There are other ways to tackle this but I believe this is one is the one I would choose. Good luck.

NicoleAnita
25-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Hi Gyro - I agree to a certain extent with the above reply, however, as mentioned this is your CEO. Do you report to him? If not, talk to your immediate manager. If so, it sounds to me like he really 'doesn't get HR' and the value you can bring to the organisation. You have to remember if this is the case the more you preach EEO etc the more he will start to see you (if not already) as the policy police. You have to speak his language.

This is not uncommon in small to med companies where the MD/CEO sees potential (or not) in a person and wants them on his team. Especially if it is a 'last man standing' type of appointment (ie that employee has been there for ever and a day) etc.

What I would suggest is you let him know that you will support his decision and help him find a way for him to get what he wants without you looking like the enemy. By this I mean certainly let him know that you have to establish Best Practice HR, but, perhaps you can advertise the job internally and go through the motions with the other candidates ensuring all your bases are covered ie questions are consistent, you have a PD and the experience and qualifications are set before you interview. Just because you interview someone does not mean you have to hire them and by that I mean sometimes HR needs to get creative to be on the same page as their CEO/MD.

Unless your RS&I Policy says it there is no requirement by law to say you have to advertise your jobs externally. Many companies prefer to promote from within as the person knows the business etc. So there could be a valid reason. Also ensure you document the process and with this approach you should get him to sign off on the paperwork. I don't think there is a CEO/MD out there that would willingly put the company at risk!

Just be mindful on how you play it. If as you say this particular role may not exist in the future well then that would be up to you and your CEO to deliver the news (depending on how much influence you have in the company). As for putting pressure on your CEO, my advice is DON'T. Remember this person has the ear of the Board of Directors and it could be your role that is made redundant or outsourced.

Good luck.

Gyro
25-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the assistance. I agree that I don't want to be seen as the policy police or me V's the CEO as you both know this won't end wel at all. He signed the policy off and has indicated that he didn't read it properly and thus was not aware. I will remind him of what I am here for to ensure we make the right decisions and it will be up to him to decide. He has already made up his mind about this and unfortunately we have at least 2 other people in the company that would be able to perform the role and i would hate for them to not be given a fair change to prove themselves as someone has made a decision based on a conversation over coffee with an employee about what they like doing.

My ongoing struggle is the CEO thinks that all HR personnel are corrupt as he had some very bad HR experiences in the past. I am slowly chipping away at this one helping him understand policies, what support i can give and help him realise that we are not all evil but can really benefit an organisation.

thanks again for your comments and assistance it has been very helpful :-)

Tiger
26-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I second the two excellent responses but stress that
a) as he is the CEO, what he wants he gets (provided legal)
b) if you cross him, believe me, you will, at some point be sacrificed and lose your job

Follow advice already given but be sure to document everything. Respond with pros and cons of issues by email so there is a trail in the event you ever need to prove who said/authorizes what etc. Providing pros and cons (instead of just pointing out why he shouldn't be doing it) will put you in better light and perhaps prod CEO to consider all the options. If after that, he still goes ahead, sobeit .. you have done your job.

Take this from one who has, on more than one occasion, been in similar situations to yours. Believe me, you are never the winner here and end up with a reputation of being "difficult to work with" so at first opportunity, end up retrenched!

Something else for you to consider. If you are of the age where you have a lot of working years ahead, are ambitious and ultimately want to be part of a senior team somewhere, I would recommend you consider getting a coach. It doesn't have to be for a long time but a good coach can really help you navigate the political quagmire that is organizations these days. The cost, if not supported by your employer, is tax deductible.

Good luck
Tiger

RFitzlion
26-03-2013, 10:40 AM
My ongoing struggle is the CEO thinks that all HR personnel are corrupt as he had some very bad HR experiences in the past. I am slowly chipping away at this one helping him understand policies, what support i can give and help him realise that we are not all evil but can really benefit an organisation.

Keep chipping away Gyro it's a long hard process but part of the job......... it is important to promote good/sound HR practice.

Remember that your integrity is your HR passport.......never lose it :)

Gyro
26-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks sooooo much for all the feedback and support, it's nice to hear all the comments and put things into perspective.

I have had a successful meeting with the CEO who has covered off the reasons for the promotion and approaching it not according to the guidelines. I have agreed with his sentiment and also presented the pros and cons for doing it this way. In the end as you have all said the CEO will have the final say. I am spending as much time as possible with him to educate him of the benefits HR can have if supported.

I am confident it will work out in the end. I don't want to do anything career limiting that's for sure. I love my job :-)

Tiger I will look into a coach that is a great idea. As I am a one person team I don't have a go to person, my Manager is great and very helpful but a non-HR person so it doesn't always work.

Thanks again for the feedback you have all been so helpful

Steve Begg
05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Hey Gyro, it would be a great case study if you could keep us updated on your progress as I know you are not on your own. There are many people out there in the same situation as you and many that have been there, done that. Given this happened in March what has the outcome been now we are in June? And what has been learned or changed from the situation.

Steve

Gyro
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Hi Steve

The individual did get promoted in the end without the process being followed however I did get my point across. I battled for weeks with this trying to educate the CEO on the process and why it is so important that we follow it. At one point he told me that he wasn't aware there was one until I presented a copy of the guidelines that he signed off last year. Anyway in the end he acknowledged that if he isn't seen supporting and following the HR processes then how am I able to perform my role effectively and enforce our HR policies and procedures? I also backed myself with many emails which included approvals from both the CEO and Board and their justifications in writing, at no point did I sign anything off.

I ended up being fully supported by the Board who questioned my resistance in the appointment as they only received part of the information from the CEO ie there are HR policy issues and not the fact that the CEO didn't follow the process.

Since the announcement as I had anticipated there were questions and some unhappy individuals about the appointment and the process. The other employees too would have liked the opportunity to apply. The CEO had to defend his actions to those with the skillsets to perform the role which he wasn't overly happy with as it turns out he had no idea of the skills these other employees have and ended up questioning his own actions. This did strengthen my argument :-)

I'm not one to say 'I told you so' but.....

In conclusion I am confident the CEO does see some value in our HR policies and procedures now as the lack of structure did backfire on him. He seems to be consulting me for my support and guidance a lot more and while I have a long way to go I think it's a step in the right direction. I will keep at it

Steve Begg
05-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Gyro, congratulations.

Your dedication, professionalism and intuitiveness has paid off in the end by the sounds of it. Good call on having the back up in the form of emails etc. Even though the person was promoted fairly or even unfairly, it sounds like the situation has raised your profile and enabled you to now consult with both the CEO and the Board!

Good work and congratulations again :D