PDA

View Full Version : If a redundancy date is given in writing & the employer then makes the date earlier does the employer need to payout up to the original date specified?

Prevention1
05-02-2013, 02:13 PM
If an employee is made redundant and given a notice in writing stating their end date is 30 June 2013 and provided with an estimated calculation based on accruals forecasted to that date and the employer then tells them to leave early, eg 30 March 2013 instead of 30 June does the employer have to pay wages and accruals as they would have been to June 30 or do they only pay to the March 30 date.

Does the employee have any room to negotiate in this case?

Is there a best practice in these sorts of situations even if there is not legislation?

Qld IR Consultant
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Few factors to consider..I am not aware of any precedents but thats not to say there isn't. If the need for the redundancy is genuine then I can't see how the employee will be able to argue effectively for payment till june when they are leaving in March. Granted it is a couple of months and could be a decent amount of $$ but if the employer is paying out correct entitlements, has given the correct notice and consultation, and the redundancy is genuine, the employee will be hard pressed to argue their case I would think.....