PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Term Contract wording

bullswool
04-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey,

I am preparing a Fixed Term Employment Contract for a new employee who is going to be a maternity leave replacement. New employee is aware of the fixed term and has agreed to the conditions, no dramas there. What do you think is the best/easiest way to detail this in the employment contract?

Do you think something as simple as using our current employment contracts (which have been vetted by Chamber of Comerce legal team), but with an end date? E.g.:

1.1 Your start date will be 01/01/2013
1.2 Your end date will be 31/07/2013

Or does it need more detail than this?

Thanks in Advance!

Renee
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
That will depend on whether your employee on maternity leave has any provisions to come back early. I.e. If they want to return after 6 months, can they give 1 month notice and return to their old job? If so you will want to ensure this is covered in the contract of the replacement.

Moz
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
1.1 Your start date will be 01/01/2013
1.2 Your end date will be 31/07/2013

Or does it need more detail than this?

That's fine, although I include termination clauses for both parties and it might also be worth adding a clause which allows the period to be extended by mutual agreement or be continued on a casual basis.

If you do this make sure you set out what termination notice is required if employment continues after the end date.