PDA

View Full Version : Help - Australian Employment Law

Janette Wechsler
07-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Hello, I have recently returned to Australia after a long stint living and working in London. I got into HR in London, completed my HR Masters in London and have been working as a HR practitioner for the past 7 years. I did not work in HR when I previously lived in Australia so I do not know much about Australia's employment law. I was hoping that someone could let me know the best websites I could visit to read up on all I need to know before getting started on the job hunt. Thank you.

Moz
10-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Welcome Janette, unfortunately our employment laws here in Australia seem to have been in a constant state of flux for as long as most of us can remember, largely because each successive left and right wing Government changes most things that their predecessor put in place.

The trouble is few of us really know what any new employment legislation really means in practical terms until it is tested in courts. Only then to we learn how the courts interpret the legislation.

So you probably have until about November this year to learn the current legislation before Labor lose control and it all starts to change again :)

In the mean time Fair Work Australia (http://www.fwc.gov.au/) is a good place to start.

There's also quite a bit of practical advice about real life issues right here on HR Buzz.

Then there are a myriad of articles of different law firms web sites.

There are also many commercial publications.

Unfortunately there is no single place where you can read up on all you need to know.

Janette Wechsler
10-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks Moz for the advice. I shall do some reading on the Fair Work Australia site.