PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Working Hours - to be 24/7

DanB
14-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Morning Everyone....

We currently have a team that operates wthin a 24/7 call centre environment (melbourne)servcing customers for accommodation. There is no selling in this division and employees were hired on the basis of the role being 24/7, with those working the night shift (only 2) able to work from home. During the day the overflow (if any) is diverted to our other contact centre (located in brisbane) of sales travel consultants.

The Melbourne team receive a standard salary, no incentive as not selling. The base salary includes all penalty payments for any hours worked includng public holidays, saturdays & sundays and rostered night shifts. The Brisbane team received a base salary, an incentive payment for sales made, penalties for public holidays and penalties for Sundays.

I have been advised that the organization now wants the brisbane team to be working 24/7, not just to take calls for their own division, but also the Melbourne division. Both roles whilst using the same booking system, there are differences and further different programs that training would need to be provided on.

As per our agreement they are entitled to receive a % penality loading working from 10pm to 6am. They will continue to receive 2 consectuive days off in the roster..

My questions are:
1) Can we enforce this decision on the basis of the Agreement or should we put it to the brisbane team asking if anyone is interested in completing this?
2) Should any bookings made by the Brisbane team include an incentive component if working 10pm to 6am?
3) Would this be classified as (10m to 6am) a spread of normal hours worked?

From what I see in the agreement I believe it is possible, however the Brisbane employees would need to be provided with a new offer of employment and a period of notice for hte change to be introduced?

Our staff are covered by our workplace agreement 2007, with no renewal of this agreement in the foreseeable future.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Qld IR Consultant
14-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Consultation requirements still apply and you must remember that consultation is when all parties have the ability to influence the outcome....This is how any union will look at it should they get involved.

My first piece of advice however is renew the agreement and have it inserted into it....Call centre workers are a feisty bunch no matter who they work for so I'd tread carefully. Any wind of it by the ASU and you'll have a bargaining order on your desk before you know it.....

I would think that calling for expressions of interest first would be best and see what response you get.....