PDA

View Full Version : Hire a 3 Months contract Employee in Sydeny

Elaine Li
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Please help me as I have no experience to handle this.

We want to hire a 3 months contract staff to work for our Sydney office.

Can anyone can share with me a sample of offering letter to use.

Can anyone also let me know what mandatory benefits we should offer to this 3 months contract employees , assumed there are some difference with the full time regular staff.

Correct me if I am wrong, Thanks a lot.

Qld IR Consultant
03-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Elaine, check the Fair Work Australia website. This details the minimum conditions required and you can contact them to seek advice on the applicable award. Alternatively you can engage a consultant to do it for you, at cost.

Neb-Maat-Re
03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
For 3 months, consider getting someone through a temp agency.

Otherwise, a direct employee for 3 months would get everything a permanent/ongoing employee would get, but on a pro-rata basis.

Tasman McManis
04-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi Elaine,

The two previous comments make sense. If you plan to carry out the process yourself, you can use a normal contract of employment and then make relevant changes to clauses associated with notice, pro-rata rates of pay etc. As mentioned you could contract someone through an agency or engage someone who is a sole trader or an independent contractor where you agree on a day rate for the contract.

Elaine Li
13-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi

Casual employees are paid based on the number of hours they work. They usually aren’t guaranteed a certain amount of hours of work per week, but can work regular hours.

Based on the above statement, is it mean that we must hire the casaul employees based on "Hourly Rate " ??

not we put the "Monthly base rate" in the Letter of engagement ?

Please help, thanks.

Qld IR Consultant
14-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Elaine, Please excuse my directness but you do sound like you are struggling a bit our employment legislation. You really need to get help from a Consultant to do this for you....If you piece together something and its wrong than you risk opening up your employer to a mountain of litigation.....

Tiger
14-08-2012, 08:38 AM
The other contributors have all said it. The obvious solution is to put the person on a fixed term contract which, as already advised, means you employ the person on your payroll and pay them the same as a regular employee except everything (leave entitlements etc) are pro rata.
If you have not employed people before, then go to an Agency, as suggested already.
You will however, pay a fee for their services. So their fee is made up of the hourly rate the employee receives each week plus an oncost component for Super, WC insurance, etc and their fee mark up. This way the employee is not paid for public holidays or if sick and would submit a timesheet each week. If going this route, I suggest you are prescriptive about the hours individual is to work each day - otherwise you can find the costs easily escalate if there is no ceiling.

The upside however is that the person remains an employee of the Agency, not your company, so if eg the three months turns out to be a bit less than anticipated, you are easily able to finish the arrangement.
I also think the latter, given it is only for three months, is your best option.

If for some reason, after three months, your company decides they want to make the arrangement permanent i.e. the position is required on an ongoing basis and the "temp" is doing well, then you would negotiate with the Agency to employ the person direct. There will be a fee associated with this but you might be able to get it reduced slightly after three months.

Elaine Li
14-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Thank you all of your advices, I get all fixed and done, Thanks