PDA

View Full Version : What's your Klout score?

Sonya P
13-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Do you even know what "Klout" is? (I didn't!)

A recent article in one of the HR magazines highlighted a new social media phenomenon, that those of us in involved in recruitment absolutely must be know about.

Klout amalgamates information from people’s social media involvement and gives them a "score" according to the "quality" of their connections. So it collates all your activity from Facebook, Twitter and the "Blogosphere", and tells everyone what a social media legend you are, or a chronic timewaster, depending on your perspective :)

It seems some pundits feel a high Klout score is about to become an important factor when hiring staff. I personally would view it as a red flag, perhaps with the exception of candidates for Public Relations jobs.

I found some of the statements in the article quite alarming, such as;

"According to one recruitment expert, it is only a matter of time before such scoring systems become a crucial part of the hiring process,"

" It is crucial for up-and-coming talent to expand their “digital footprint”

"For another HR expert, a lack of a social media presence may signal that a candidate is “past it”. “If I get a recruit who has only half a dozen connections on Twitter or LinkedIn, they are tainted with the belief that they are not connected and not up-to-date," "

Oh dear, according to that I must be "past it"!

Am I alone on thinking that this is absurd?

Buzzers, tell me you're not all feverishly tweeting and "connecting" with people around the world whom you have never met?