PDA

View Full Version : Termination while on Workers Compensation

pegasus70
31-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Good morning,

We have an apprentice who has been a reluctant worker for a while, but unfortunatley no manager ever documented this.
He is now on workers compensation and has bene since february for a sprained ankle. Things are now escalating and it looks as though we are heading for surgery.
I have the insurance company looking into a couple of different angles for us as I had pegged this one as an issue from the start.

The big question is... my boss wants to terminate this apprentices employment at the end of his apprenticeship as he does not want to have him as a permanent employee.
This was on the cards long before the injury (the injury happened the day after a disciplinary meeting when he was told one more issue and he was going to be terminated)

What are our rights to not offer him permanent employment once his apprenticeship is over but he is still on Workers Compensation.

Do we still need to pay the workers compensation or does that then transfer to our insurance company?

Our organisation is in WA and our workes are under the Vehicle Manufacturing Repair and Services Award 2010

Thank you :)