PDA

View Full Version : Seeking an opportunity

Alicia27
21-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Alicia I have recently completed my Diploma in Human Resources Management, have also completed my Cert IV and have been working on an administrative level for the past few years. I understand it can be difficult to obtain a position on an entry level into the HR sector and I am just looking for an opportunity with a company or corporation to start. Almost every advertised job has required a minimum level of experience. Can anyone offer any suggestions or even provide me with some assistance or direction? I am extremly keen and willing to travel, if necessary I am happy to move interstate or even overseas, just an opportunity to prove myself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Neb-Maat-Re
21-05-2012, 08:20 PM
An indication of where you are located now may be some help.

Alicia27
21-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks for a response,my apologies, I'm located in Melbourne, Vic (the south eastern suburbs)

Neb-Maat-Re
22-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Would you consider something like this (http://jobs.careers.vic.gov.au/jobtools/jncustomsearch.viewFullSingle?in_organid=14123&in_jnCounter=222067319&in_version=&in_jobDate=All&in_jobType=&in_residency=&in_graphic=&in_param=&in_searchbox=YES&in_recruiter=&in_jobreference=&in_orderby=&in_sessionid=&in_navigation1=&in_summary=S)? It's entry level, the main criteria is the ability to process transactions, and the fact it's only six months may limit the field.

Alicia27
22-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I appreciate your help, this does look like a great role, when you say entry level role in regards to this position would you require previous experience however processing payroll? As I unfortunately have not I'm afraid

Neb-Maat-Re
22-05-2012, 12:59 PM
A VPS Grade 2 is effectively the base for adminsitrative roles in the Victorian Public Service - there is a Grade 1 but that's usually for traineeships, sometimes more menial jobs like the mail room.

In most Vic Gov Departments HR/Payroll Officers are Grade 3 - Vic Police is a bit tougher with their classifications. You won't get a lot of experienced staff applying for this.

(I'm surprised they didn't just give this to a temp agency to fill.)

The selection critera says "Ability to process personnel and payroll transactions" not experience.

Do you have experience processing any transactional type work, like accounts to financial transactions that can demonstrate your ability?

Alicia27
22-05-2012, 01:22 PM
It does seem a surprise that in this case they could then have just hired a temp, as far as dealing with any form of transactions or accounts, I have not. I have been a PA & EA for the past few years, however I do not doubt my ability to do so and I am sure that the possibility of prior training would be necessary anyway.

Even anywhere along the lines as a HR Assistant to begin with would be idealistic but even has been a real challenge to find an opening without the issue of prior experience again, aside from graduate pathways etc.

Thanks for taking the time to consider a role for my situation, I will just have to keep putting myself forward.