PDA

View Full Version : Bank Account, Tax and Super details at first interview?

Neb-Maat-Re
14-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I have an interview with a recruitment firm tomorrow for a possible contract role.

It's a first interview with the recruiter, I haven't been offered the role, and don't know at this stage whether I would accept it if it was offered.

I have been asked to bring my bank account, tax and superannuation details to this first interview. Would this be normal?

Cottoneyes
14-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Doesn't hurt to bring them, however I would not be providing them until you accepted any offer and had the contract and new starter paperwork in front of you - assuming you would be paid via the recruitment firm. If you are not being paid directly through the recruitment firm, I would be hesitant about the whole deal if they asked you for this sort of information.

Neb-Maat-Re
14-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Oh, I have no intention in providing them at that stage, just wondering if it was usual practice to ask?

EDIT: The consultant wanted me to provide my financial details even if I wasn't put forward for this opportunity, so I would be registered as "employment ready" in case another opportunity came up some time in the future. On that basis, I cancelled the interview.

Tasman McManis
14-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I regularly contract and I have not been asked for this type of information at the first interview. Sounds like the recruiter may be keen but perhaps a little inexperienced.

Neb-Maat-Re
16-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Based on her Linked In page she's been in this role for 5 years, and based on a comment during our phone discussion her work history suggests she is in her 50s.

I wonder if candidates who have a more urgent need to be employed have gone along with it?

Tasman McManis
16-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Another thought could be that by making this request of candidates the recuiter is looking for some level of committment from the candidates. A test perhaps to see how keen the person is and if they are genuine.

In any case, I like to talk with the recruiter first to find out about the opportunity before providing all my details.