PDA

View Full Version : Perf management woes

ValCam
10-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Dear All

I am looking for some creative ways (if that is allowed nowadays in our profession!) to expedite a perf. Management process. I am dealing with an FC that has landed the business in some serious financial difficulties. Unfortunately, this has only now been picked up by the business owners, Board and new MD!!!!!The usual are the case: no PM review in the past 4 years, no documented evidence, etc etc. He has been employed for over ten years and earns under unfair dismissal threshold. I have been in the HR role here for only a few months.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Cottoneyes
13-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I've seen HR depts be creative in similar situations before where they find something on the employee to dismiss them on an unrelated manner. Usually this is in the form of getting IT to track their internet and email usage history and find something good enough to instantly dismiss them, or similarly with something from the OH&S arena.

However just like a performance management issue, this can also lead to unfair dismissal claims so find something strong enough before going this path.

ValCam
13-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Marnie.L
13-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Have a look at all your policies; we did a similar dismissal on breaches of policies and Code of Conduct. All combined, it didn't look good. When the allegations were put to the employee, the rebuttal was proven to be lies, lies, and more lies. If you can prove breaches that go on and on (and they usually do) you'll have a decent case.
Good luck!

HeyPete
14-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Off tangent here a bit, but how can a FC who has been working for over ten years still be earning under $120K?

How much responsibilty do they actually have?

You have to performance manage them properly. If they can't do the job, then it is the managers fault (CFO?) for putting them in that position.

Qld IR Consultant
14-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Given the lack of documentation i'd say the easiest thing for you to do would be to restructure them out of the business. Justifying a redundancy is easier than defending an unfair dismissal.