PDA

View Full Version : Professional Advice Needed

chasingshadows
22-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I am a HR Manager and I have been in this position for about 7 years with a couple of different companies. The current company I am working for is going through a very significant change having purchased another business in the past 2 years which was on the verge of bankruptcy and we are trying to turn it around.

The majority of the previous management either left with the buyout or were made redundant except for one particular manager who has managed to lie cheat and steal their way out of the last round of redundancies (which was pre my employment) and align himself with certain people that will potentially help them to keep their job.

I have had numerous complaints about this person being a bully, rude, manipulative and basically out to take down everyone they can and up until now it has not effected me personally. I raised these issues with this persons direct boss off the record and asked that they address some of these issues as they are getting out of control. It did die down a little after i had this conversation ans I assumed that there had been a conversation it had been taken on board. To which I now know I am wrong.

In the past 3 weeks I have been tasked with a major redundancy project looking at every dept and this persons dept is particularly in the firing line as we have way too many heads at that senior level including this individuals. as this person came form the previous business there is not the business knowledge of another manager and this role could be absorbed making life easier for a number of staff members whilst saving the business a considerable amount of money. This person is aware of this project and has suddenly decided to make my life miserable I guess in the hope I will leave and drop the ball mid project buying some extra time??

Some of the things I am seeing that are making me very concerned are as follows:
- asking subordinates to recruit roles that have not had sign off and then leaving me to explain to the GM when I know nothing about the situation and then it is denied.
- when asked if things are completed being told it has happened and then when I question it finding out I have been lied to.
- embarrassing me on a personal level in front of the rest of the management team and then making a joke about it trying to justify it.
- telling subordinates to keep HR at arms length cause I dont need to know whats going on in the business.
- asking the girl I share an office with leading and personal questions about me trying to get her to inadvertently provide information.

Perhaps I am being paranoid I am not sure but I am starting to become very frustrated as I have never been the type of person who plays these games well. I am gathering information like a crazy person and documenting everything but I dont know how much longer I can put up this with this? The only reason I am hanging in there is because I love the company I work for and the General Manager is an excellent boss/mentor and I really dont want to leave.

Has anyone encountered someone like this before that once they realise you are looking at them for a possible termination they turned ugly?? Or can anyone offer any advice on how I should handle this one??

HeyPete
23-01-2012, 12:54 PM
with 7 years as a HR Manager, you have more experience in the field than I

However if I was going through a redundancy process, I would forget the games being played, and follow and document the complete redundancy process correctly.

The executive managers will quickly find out who is and is not required, whether there is another opportunity for them, and justify a reason to cut the company's losses.

Obviously this is not a performance management process, and the two must be clearly seperated.

belinda
23-01-2012, 02:02 PM
This is a difficult one, and sometimes it harder to do what your preach to others when they have the same issue as you. I would of course ensure that you have yourself covered in all aspects. Surely by now the Management team can see what this Mgr is doing - constant recruiting when not approved,

This situation needs to be addressed, from what you are saying this guy seems to be a very big liability for the company. As a Mgr and as HR, you should be taking this further and as you say the GM is a good Mgr so why not speak to him.

ValCam
24-01-2012, 08:12 AM
What a terrible situation for you! so first of all, be strong and remain professional at all times. Our role is often times very difficult. I would suggest, having been in your position a lot of times to DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT and DOCUMENT all conversations, telephone calls, meetings etc.

Back up your decisions with solid evidence, follow due process and diligence and try as much as you can to remain calm and focused.

Lots of luck!

Qld IR Consultant
24-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Document everything. Gather solid evidence. Follow a robust process (as ValCam said) and under no circumstances are you obliged to put up with this bullying behaviour. And plain and simple thats what it is. However, tread carefully during the process, mind your words, and remember that it is his job on the chopping block, not yours. But don't make a mistake or you will join him on that block.

Finally, in terms of his behaviour, there is always someone higher than him. Address it with them and let them know exactly what has been going on (leave out the emotion) and state for the record that if something is not done to address his behaviour then it will become a documented process of managing him out of the business.

Or if your really stuck message me and I'll come and do it for you......

Marnie.L
24-01-2012, 07:56 PM
i agree with the previous comments. Follow your policies and processes carefully and document everything. Evidence will bring them undone eventually and show they are in breach of your company policies, Code of Conduct, EO legislation and probably more. When you look at all the information you gather there will likely be a long list of breaches and if you have a Workplace Agreement in place there may be provision for termination.
Good luck!