PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait between recruitment and applying direct?

hrspark
25-12-2011, 11:20 AM
If a recruiter has sent a resume to an employer for a candidate, and it doesn't result in employment, how long does the candidate need to wait before they can apply directly to the employer in the future?

Are there any rules for this in NSW or Australia.

Thanks !

Cottoneyes
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I believe the resume remains the 'property' of the agency for 12 months in most cases, depending on the contract negotiated between the employer and the agency this could vary. I don't believe there is any hard and fast legislation and any claims would be via the civil courts rather than any criminal or civic court as a breach of contract but would not involve the applicant.

You can apply directly at any stage after the intitial application if you want, however the agency when they find out will charge their agency fees for the successful placement of yourself to the employer.

careercargo
17-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about that - do all you can to get the job ASAP.

If you don't get it through the agency, you are really relying on that agency (one person) putting you forward in a good light - they might fail at this for a number of reasons. Therefore, do whatever you can, you are the best person to push you. How many jobs have you actually got through others passion for you?
Dave

Helping-You-Hire
25-01-2012, 05:10 AM
I have been working as an executive recruiter for years for a staffing solutions and services company and I have come across candidates where I submit their resume to the hiring manager and they decide to pass on them. I would say not to apply directly unless you know for sure that you have the skills, experiences, and abilities that the company is looking for in the open position otherwise you could be setting yourself up for rejection again.

hrspark
07-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks Cotton Eyes for your clear answer. Going by what you said, I'd need to ask the recruiter to be sure. I don't recall the length mentioned in anything signed. Although I'm a little uncomfortable asking, as I'm sure you can understand.

CareerCargo - unfortunately that wasn't what i was asking

HelpyouHire - Interesting point