PDA

View Full Version : HR Graduate seeking employment

carolina.thulin
13-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi!

I recently graduated with a bachelor of Human Resource Development and Labour Relations from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden. As most graduates, I am very eager to start my career.

I moved to Melbourne in the beginning of October (two months ago) and have since then tried to gain an entry level position in HR/Recruitment. Over two months have past and I'm struggling to even get to the first interview. What might be an issue for most employees is that I'm currently on the working holiday visa. However, I am eligible for and willing to go through the process of applying for residency if that is what it will take for me to get my first job.

I would really appreciate, well, any advise on how to proceed in the job hunting.

Cheers,

Carolina

People Person
19-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Carolina,
I think you will find it difficult to get work until you have residency or business visa status. That, combined with an unknown overseas qualification will create an impression with employers who may be unsure as to what they are getting and how stable/long term your plans to remain in Australia are. I would recommend you have your qualifications translated into some kind of equivalent and recognisable Australian qualification and look for contract work whilst you are on a holiday visa.