PDA

View Full Version : HR Qualifications - UK to Australia

scot-tex
22-11-2011, 04:08 AM
I will be taking up a position Perth early next year and my wife has a question.

She is and has held senior HR roles in the Finance and Insurance industries in the UK for the last 15 years. She has her HR Qualifications and has a Chartered MCIPD. As she will be looking to find a job/role in Australia how will her qualifications and skill transfer and be seen by potential employers. She is currently HR & Finance Director at one of the UK's largest independent insurance brokers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

David

Moz
20-03-2012, 01:47 PM
David,

As I understand it, MCIPD is not a qualification in itself, but rather a membership status of the CIPD.

Generally speaking, high calibre HR people from the UK are well received in Australia, but it's never easy moving countries because you are usually up against candidates with local experience. Things like culture, HR law and the IR landscape all differ between Australia and the UK.

Furthermore, most senior opportunities are in Melbourne and Sydney, because that's where most of the head offices are, so your wife may struggle to secure a position in Perth at the same level as that which she has currently.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you may as well go into this with your eyes open!

Qld IR Consultant
20-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Very much have to agree with Moz. Although forum members would dispute my position, australian employment legislation currently brings a distinction between HR and IR functions, particularly in processes and level of accountability. Sydney and Melbourne are the hubs of the action, but I can see Perth (particularly in the expanding mining and ports industries) where an experienced HR practitioner would be sought after. However, in these industries it would be advisable to increase her IR knowledge. In saying this she must come to terms with the fact she may start out at the bottom of the ladder again and have to work her way up. Good Luck!!!

jim c500
26-03-2012, 01:53 PM
As a Brit abroad, I'd say that there's sometimes awareness of CIPD membership/accreditation but that academic qualifications carry more clout. My Chartered MCIPD didn't count for much when I arrived, but my MA in HRM was of far more interest to prospective employers. Other people in other situations may have a different experience!

Good luck, Jim