PDA

View Full Version : Company Pays for Personal Trainer for Employees - what is the workers compenation coverage line???

DanB
27-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi All

We are looking at providing assistance to our employees to get fit (their feedback through our recent employee opinion survery) and obtaining the services of a Personal Trainer for staff - company is covering the cost.

The training would be held twice a week in a park across the road from the workplace. The trainer will have all participants sign a Waiver form to cover them for the entire 6 months of training. The company will also have a waiver for the employees to sign.

However, whilst the waiver has been signed, will the employee still be covered or entitled to workers compensation if an injury takes place as this is outside the standard normal working hours?? Or would the employee be covered as it would be consdiered a work activity?

Whilst as an employer we have a duty of care, Employees also have a duty of care or obligation in relation to their own workplace health and safety, which also applies when they are attending work events?

If you are able to provide any assistance on this it would be appreciated.

Qld IR Consultant
28-09-2011, 06:46 AM
It is my understanding from participating in these sorts of programs as an employee that if it takes place off the premises and after the normal hours than its the trainers responsibility to have their own insurance coverage. The fact that they are getting employees to sign a waiver (for what??) than i'd be skeptical in just participating as an employee, let alone as the employer entrusting them to take care of my employees. Also, signing a waiver from cases I have seen in the past is sometimes a pointless waste of ink and paper. I'd be seeking some written legal advice.........