PDA

View Full Version : Cert IV in HR or Grad Cert in Business (HR major)?

Ninavdk
17-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi,

I'm a recent Arts graduate, looking to get into the field of HR.

I've been applying for HR coordinator/HR Administrator roles, but have not had any luck landing an interview yet.

This has prompted me to consider some further study options to get my foot into the door of the industry, working in HR is really something I want to pursue.

So I was wondering if anyone in the industry could give me their opinion on which option would be viewed more favourably by potential employers.

Certificate IV in HR

or

Graduate Certificate in Business with an HR major

The cert IV is something I can start now (through seek learning-self paced), and is considerably more affordable. The pro's of this is that I can be finished sooner (and potentially start my career earlier), and I can currently afford this.

Meanwhile, the Grad Cert- whilst being a better qualification in my opinion, will cost me a lot more and I won't be able to complete it until the end of next year (I work full time so study is only viable part time). It will also give me another university debt to pay off.
It does however give options of moving on to a masters later on.

I am just wondering how these qualifications are viewed by people in the industry, if there is a significant difference? Is worth my while going down the more expensive/time consuming route of a grad cert and onwards, or if a cert IV and my extensive admin experience will be considered enough to land me an entry level position by recruiters?

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

bdoyle
22-01-2012, 09:49 AM
The Grad Cert (in my opinion) will be looked upon more favorably.

belinda
23-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I would look into whether you can follow the Certificate IV in HR with the Grad Cetificate, i.e. similar subjects you could get RPL for, etc. Then financially it be benefical for you also.

HRLocalGov
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
One of the best things you can do is follow up with those companies you have applied at and find out the skills the successful candidates possess. You may find that a formal HR qualification isn't the number 1 reason you arent being successful at gaining interviews.

It's is important to be open about why your asking this question to many recruiters. If a recruiter is comfortable that you are asking in order to help your career, (rather than find fault in their recruiting process) you are much more likely to gain honest and beneficial feedback.

To directly answer your question, it may also be worthwhile looking into a post-graduate course in HR to follow you bachelor's degree. This is a much more natural step than a cert IV or grad cert, and will hopefully give you a much stronger HR knowledge also.

best of luck

desperatelyjobless
19-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Have you considered working in admin until you get promoted to a HR position within the organisation you are working? Experience may be more viable than education altogether.