PDA

View Full Version : Smelly employee refuses to co-operate

suziewho
13-09-2011, 03:47 PM
This is a very small office (software developers) and this particular male employee was spoken to privately about his very offensive BO a few months ago. His reaction was bland and nothing has changed. He will not participate in any conversation regarding this now and defends himself by saying he showers and changes clothes. He has never used deodorant (seriously) and considers it to be perfume which men do not use. We have tried suggesting other things, even that it could be a medical issue, to no avail.
All government bodies tell me that there are no legislations or procedures in place to cover these things and they should be dealt with "in-house" with diplomacy.
He is a good engineer and is praised for his work... but now nobody wants to work with him or near him!
1 x unsuccessful verbal counselling has been conducted and now we have no choice but to move on to written warnings - but there is no official consequence. Can we suspend someone without pay untill they agree to address the issue?

Qld IR Consultant
14-09-2011, 08:39 AM
First off no you can't suspend him. This issue has become as sensitive as speaking about religion in the workplace. Do you have a code of conduct that specifically addresses cleanliness/hygiene or dress standards? If so you might be able to conduct sessions easily given the number of employees to reinforce the need to come to work suitably attired and of good personal hygiene.

The only advice I can give is that although its offensive to your nostrils you need to handle it delicately. If you don't then aggressiveness will be taken by him as workplace bullying and you'll have even bigger issues then.

IvanaC
15-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Suzie

I concur with what has been said - I personally experienced the exact situation and the person sat right next to me - and quite close may I say due to the limited office space whilst working on a project. It is a very sensitive issue and embarrassing for both - the person that needs to notify and the person receiving it. May I make a suggestion - ensure that you have a dress standard policy in place, this can help with the counselling and set the right expectations - secondly have a well trusted male colleague speak with him again and suggest that he uses odorless deodorant - I am sure that there is something on the market that he can use that would not make him feel sissy - find out first what it is called so he can be told....I think how it is managed is the key to resolving the issue....good luck!!!