PDA

View Full Version : Ethical question

consumerpower
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Can I offer a recruiter x amount of money towards a charity of their preference if after an interview I don’t get the job.
I am applying for a job I really want in a company I really want to join but there is one criteria I don’t meet, however I am confident I was win them over if I get an interview.

P.S Be are critical as you like, I am here to learn.

Regards

Qld IR Consultant
02-09-2011, 07:55 AM
So what your proposing is a bribe (of sorts) to ensure you get the position? If thats the case both you and the individual you offer it to would be in serious trouble...my suggestion is get the role under the right means and for the right reasons...or you haven't earnt it.....Good luck!!

Moz
02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
So what your proposing is a bribe (of sorts) to ensure you get the position?

That's not what consumerpower is saying at all, quite the contrary, in fact he/she will only pay something (to a charity) if he/she does NOT get the position.

I can sympathise. Over the years I have seen many people excluded from a recruitment process because they don't meet the fundamental selection criteria set by the employer. Unfortunately however, that select criteria is often ill conceived. The ideal qualifications or experience are often a mandatory requirement. It's no wonder some managers struggle to recruit the people they need.

As an external recruiter I have stuck my neck out from time to time and told a client "trust my judgement - you have to interview this person". Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. But when it did, boy were they grateful - the employer that is, because they knew how close they had come to missing out on a really good person.

So consumerpower, you're basically saying you are prepared to back yourself. The type of offer you are considering would appeal to me if I were the interviewer - it would get my attention, although unless you were completely wasting my time I would never actually ask you to make a payment to charity if I didn't hire you. BUT it won't appeal to everyone. Some people would misconstrue your offer and it clearly it could be viewed as a bribe, when it's not.

Personally I think it would be safer to try to get 10 minutes with the recruiter, offer to buy them a coffee (make it very clear you just want 10 minutes of their time). Obviously in that time you need to explain that while you don't meet all the criteria you really believe you would be worthy of an interview.

Of course your chance of success depends on what part of the selection criteria you don't meet. If it's a company policy thing the recruiter may not be able to budge. Can I ask what it is?

consumerpower
02-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I was waiting to see how long it will take to flush out the word “bribe” and that’s what I am worried about.

I personally like unconventional ways of applying for a job, it is also the way I go about my career. In this instance (and I have successfully changed jobs few times) I am seeking a shift in career direction and don’t want my application overlooked because I don’t have the specific experience.

I am applying for a position in the mining industry and I don’t have mining experience. The position is in process improvement etc, and I believe engineering skills in field are fairly generic .. and I meet all other criteria. I currently work for a good multinational organisation but the position I am after is unique and suits my attitude to work and future ambition. That’s why I thought I need to do something different. And as Moz suggested, yes I am prepared to back up my application.
My strategy is that the chances of getting an interview aren’t very good, being unconventional/taking a risk might make it a 50/50

I don’t think it should be perceived as a bribe, but its not what I think that matters and that’s why I have asked people who could be on the receiving end.

Qld IR Consultant
03-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Apologies for my directness but that is potentially how it will be viewed by the employer, and I can guarantee they would not be happy with it. Even though you are saying its for NOT getting the job, it would be viewed as a pseudo ransom to ensure you get future ones.....My advice is don't do it, it won't help you in the future at all.....

consumerpower
07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Many thanks for your comments, i decided not to make that offer and instead call and ask for a 10 min chat over a coffee or even on the phone. If the HR manager didn't like the idea, i would have lost him/her for good, this way I still have a chance at future positions

Regards

jim c500
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi consumerpower. I think your change of tactics is wise. Having a unique and innnovative approach is great, but clearly this needs to be complemented by astute decision making! You'd have done the wrong thing to have offered the money regardless of how you positioned it.

I agree with Moz that selection criteria can sometimes stop the right person from being chosen. Finding an imaginative way around the ones you don't meet, though, could go some way to showing that you are indeed the right person for the job!

Good luck, Jim