PDA

View Full Version : Performance Feedback for Process Workers

jodiechr
28-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I have started working in the Manufacturing sector with a GM who thinks we should "dumb down" performance feedback for production workers to a ticklist process. I come from a white collar environment where Performance Appraisal processes are consistent throughout the organisation. Any views?

Qld IR Consultant
29-08-2011, 06:27 AM
The Appraisal process should be the same, obviously the KPI's will be different, but in terms of the appraisal they should be the same across the board. If you dumb it down I would think you might upset the productions workers. Just because they are blue collar doesn't mean they are dumb. Treating them as equals in the organisation goes a long way to establishing an effective transparent communicative relationship with the employees that can assist in industrial harmony.

Bomber
27-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Personally I agree that these should be simplified, to make these relevant to the staff - otherwise you end up have an administrative process that is not used (or used effectively) because it is not seen as relevant or useful. I believe that it is possible to have a system where appraisal documents/processes are different based on the types of roles. I think you can have a checklist (tick list), but this needs to be part of a system or culture where the conversations about performance are ongoing - it is the regular feedback that is important.

Dunno if that helps, just my opinion :)