PDA

View Full Version : Salary negotiation

Show
27-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Hello,
I'm looking to gain employment in state government. I am aware that advertised positions come with a salary range and would like to know whether it is possible to negotiate your salary within this range. I am also aware that there are set classification levels set out in awards/agreements, but would like to start at either the second or third grade of salary ranges in my area due to my experience and qualifications. Is this feasible or worth trying for in state government? Any information, tac tics or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
SHOW

Qld IR Consultant
28-07-2011, 07:23 AM
It would be my suggestion, from experience, that you get the position first, get through the required probation, then push for a salary increase. The salary range is contained within the classification structure, and should sit in front of a training matrix that tells you what training you need to undertake to progress through the grades.

Well thats the right way, I am unsure if Qld State Government is that forward thinking.... Good luck.....

Greg Schmidt
29-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I would actually suggest a different approach to the previous response. I don't have any experience in State Government, but I have worked in Commonwealth Government. In my experience there, once an employee is established at a particular paypoint within a salary range, there's usually a strong expectation that they will "progress" through the remaining paypoints until they eventually reach the top of the salary range. I'd think that there's little likelihood of being allowed to "leapfrog" through the salary range when your colleagues are progressing one paypoint at a time.

If you feel that your skills, qualifications and experience are worthy of a higher starting point in the salary range, I'd strongly suggest that you put that case to the organisation before you commence. This might be at the interview - and an interviewer will often ask what your salary expectations are - or later at the time of a formal job offer. The State Govt employer will either agree to offer the higher salary, or they won't. Either way, both you and the employer will know where you stand if you take up the job.