PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle internal job applicants?

Sonya P
20-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I need to advise a manager on how to handle internal applicants for a job he is advertising internally only.

The problem we face, which I am sure if very common, is that he knows who he wants to appoint, but the company has a policy of interviewing all internal candidates when a position is advertised internally only, (not something I agree with personally).

This can be particularly awkward for a hiring manager when some candidates have unjustified self confidence, and/or feel it is their "turn", when no amount of L&D is likely to equip them for the position.

Not only that, some candidates seem to expect one on one help or coaching in applying for the position - from the manager doing the hiring!

My view is that all candidates should be treated equally, and no one should get any advice or coaching which is not made available to all other candidates, particularly given that some candidates don't need it!

I would be interested to know how others handle internal job applicants, including pre and post interview.