PDA

View Full Version : Performance Management isn't just for disciplining staff....

Qld IR Consultant
06-07-2011, 08:18 AM
All too often, both employers and employees, think that Performance Management is a disciplinary tool by which to rule over all. Well it isn’t. Yes in some instances Performance Management can, and must, be used to correct inappropriate behavior, or under-performance, but generally it should be seen and used as a way to energize employees, improve productivity, and improve the culture of the workplace.

Now exactly what is Performance Management? Simply put it is an ongoing communication process, undertaken in partnership between the employee and his or her immediate supervisor that involves establishing clear expectations and understanding about the essential functions the employee is expected to perform, how their job contributes to the overall objectives of the business, and how they will work together to sustain, improve, and build on existing strengths.

Wasn’t quite simple afterall was it.

Now although some performance management systems can become quite involved and time consuming, the following are some basic steps that SME’s can implement to effectively manage the performance of their staff.

First off don’t make the mistake of thinking that appraising or evaluating performance is the same thing as managing. It’s not. It is but only the first step in the overall performance management system.

Schedule regular meetings with staff, both individually and as a group, to go over the business targets or expectations of the staff in terms of their performance. Now most small businesses are time poor, but it doesn’t have to be every day. It can be weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Perhaps if you are time poor then schedule the meeting before or after their shifts and entice them with a coffee and a muffin.

Set realistic and attainable targets. All businesses want their employees to go, and achieve, above and beyond, but setting unrealistic targets will only serve to slow productivity due to stress and frustration.

When speaking to the staff, be positive. Reinforce their good work, but highlight the areas where they can possibly improve, or where you expect them to improve
Note: Communication at this stage is critical. Don’t use the opportunity to heap praise on one employee, whilst berating another for perceived lack of performance. Be neutral, but concise.

Be cautious if you intend to link improved performance to a reward. It is my experience that a majority of staff then focus on the reward rather than the quality of the product or service. But in some instances it can be a motivator. Exercise caution.

Now the bad news. What to do if you need to use Performance Management for Discipline?

At some stage you will have no other option but to use a Performance Management system to discipline a staff member. Now this may range from excessive sick leave, to inappropriate workplace behavior, and even diminished performance.

Unfortunately no two situations in this regard will ever be the same. It is essential that you approach discipline through Performance Management, with a degree of caution, but with robust resolve. Don’t be afraid to manage a situation, or manage an employee, afterall….You are the boss.

Although each situation will be different, there are a few basic principles that you need to ensure you adhere to:

Advise the employee in writing of the meeting, exactly what will be discussed, who will be present, and that they are entitled to have a support person present at the meeting.

When advising the employee of what is to be discussed, ensure that you give the employee adequate time to respond to any issues or allegations.

Never make your decision before taking into account the employee’s response. Keep an open mind. There may be extenuating circumstances and outside influences that could be causing the issue.

Only use a level of discipline that is in line with the severity of the issue. To “over discipline” will cause the situation to get worse, and the knock effects to other employees will be inevitable.

Never procrastinate. Address disciplinary issues early.

Document everything in writing. You don’t need to write war and peace, but be concise.
Short, sharp and too the point isn’t always a good thing.

At the end of the day, there is no “one size fits all” Performance Management system. If you remember the points above, and remember that performance management is an on-going communication process, then you should be able to dance the performance management dance without appearing to have two left feet.

Set your business goals, Set your personal business goals, Set goals for your employees, and then go forth and manage.

fastkiwi
12-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the informative info, I am in the same situation. I have emailed the employee of the concerns and called a disciplinary meeting. The complaints were a bit broad and she has emailed me for more details and I have said we will talk more at the meeting. She had a support person. She answered the concerns but I still have performance concerns and have issued her with a warning letter and a Perforance improvement plan giving her 6 weeks to comply. I havent given her our displinary process and she has asked for it. I dont think I handled this well.

hrprofessional
17-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Fastwiki,
The disciplinary process should be clear and perhaps it would be worth having an established policy on discipline and also including in that policy a procedure?

Here is some practical information extending on from the great article from IR Consultant above.

Many modern HR practitioners now differentiate between positive reinforcement in the performance management space and discipline.

Positive reinforcement assists employees by continually communicating their strong performance and generally adds some forms of incentives.

Discipline is where the employee has fallen below communicated performance standards. Generally managers would start with a counseling session to help the employee get up to speed and understand where they need to improve.

Common mistakes in the performance management process
* Failing to communicate clear targets.
* Establishing targets solely in one area or areas (eg. sales) when an employee's role is broader than that.
* Failing to give an employee regular feedback.
* Failing to focus on positive outcomes. Performance management whether on the positive reinforcement or the disciplinary side should always end with a focus on the employee performing to a high standard and the company being there for them to achieve that together.
* Over disciplining. Often this will leave an otherwise very capable employee to leave.
* Blame shifting. Management must wear it if they have done the wrong thing and employees will hold far more respect for managers that don't offer staff as scape goats.
* Failing to stay on top of a performance issue. Often performance issues will go on for years without being addressed. If this is the case it will then take far longer for someone to assist that employee to get up to speed.

Regards,
HR Professional

NicoleAnita
18-01-2013, 08:18 PM
In any case please ensure you have any evidence, documents and even statements from others that may be involved. Make sure your facts are correct as you may need to follow up depending on the meeting. This is especially important in a unionised workforce where it can sometimes feel like the HR Manager or Supervisor is being 'interviewed'.

samfordtemp
16-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Great post. Currently studying HR and my summary is Performance Management is a system you implement to achieve company goals. Its pretty broad I know, but I agree that many people see PM systems in a negative light, and worry that they may loose their job if a manager broaches these words. I think PM systems are a way to ensure everybody is doing what they should, when they should.