PDA

View Full Version : Fixed term contract - entitlements & benefits

Glen Callaghan
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
1. Are fixed term employees entitled to the same non-statutory benefits as a permanent employee for the length of their contract?

e.g. private health insurance, access to corporate gym membership etc.

2. Also what is the opinion around having rolling extensions of Fixed contracts if there is genuine reason that it’s not possible to make the role permanent? I.e. company is awaiting new project work to be signed off which has been delayed twice, at present we can only see 6 months ahead, hence requirement for a 3rd 6 month extension.

I realise that once we go over 12 months redundancy payments will apply if this situation occurred.

Thank you

Qld IR Consultant
05-07-2011, 07:33 AM
First question is do you have a workplace agreement, and if so, what does it say?

If not, I'd be cautious about extending the contract on a "rolling" basis. It is my experience that fixed term contract employees tend to have access to all the same benefits as full time staff but for the specified period. And you need to make sure that the letter of offer details the exact terms of the contract. Don't leave any grey areas in terms of what the employee knows about the arrangement.

Any hesitation I'd go as far as getting them to sign a stat dec indicating their understanding.

Glen Callaghan
05-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi QLD,
Thanks for response. No workplace agreement in place.
This is also my general understanding & practice too - thanks for allowing me bounce!

Qld IR Consultant
05-07-2011, 06:33 PM
No problem :)