PDA

View Full Version : Medical examination??

tubefeed
17-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Does anyone enforce this b4 commencing employment?

Cottoneyes
17-06-2011, 03:36 PM
I've only heard of it where there is a pre-requisite due to the type of work being involved.

For example, when I worked in agriculture management, we would have most of our new workers go through a basic medical to ensure they could handle the physical nature of the jobs we were offering. All applicants were made aware of this at the advertising stage and we were pretty consistent with this, we did let a few slip through during the busy times such as harvest when the role was for a few weeks only. I've also heard stories of some mining companies requiring them as well, but this was third hand stories so don't quote me on it.

I've never seen one needed for an office worker other than one company I worked for had their executives go through a medical prior to an offer.

Neil_Hanks
22-06-2011, 01:54 PM
When I worked for a labour hire firm we used to screen all our on-hired employees using pre employment medicals. It was a noisy industrial setting and one of the main reasons was to set a benchmark for the employees hearing acuity, so that no claims of hearing loss could be levied against us or the host employer. Also, any existing injuries were picked up which effectively negated potential workers' comp claims.