PDA

View Full Version : Can an employer transfer me to a new company and change my pay cycle

wottha
15-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi There

Just wondering if an employer can give less than 1 months notice that you are going to be employed by a new company and that they will be changing your paycycle from 1 week behind to a fortnight behind?

There is no workplace agreement just individual letters of offer which state all employment conditions.

Are fortnightly payrolls usually one week behind, one week in advance?

Thanks,
:confused:

Cottoneyes
15-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Most fortnightly payrolls I've seen have been paid all in arrears - ie, you work the fortnight and then get paid for it.

While you have individual letters of offer, you should find you are employed under some sort of award. Might be worth contacting Fairwork Australia on 1300 799 675 to find out which award you are under and see if it specifies anything. If it is silent on the pay cycle front, you might have to start saving up over the next 4 weeks ready for your first fortnightly pay.

The whole thing of being employed by a new company opens a whole can of worms - is it a new company that has bought your existing company, or is the existing company being split?