PDA

View Full Version : "culture fit" - valid reason for not being selected?

HRthelink
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Can you actually use lack of "culture fit" with the organisation as a valid reason for not employing someone even if they meet all the other criteria of the role? How do you avoid a discrimination claim in this sense?

Qld IR Consultant
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
If you document the reason as "culture fit" then you'll have to explain exactly what that means. And I suspect if it means what I think it means there is no way you will avoid the discrimination claim. Culture fit seems a bit of a weak reason not to employ someone though.......

tubefeed
15-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Culture fit aka verbal communication skills not of appropriate standard for the organisation?

HRthelink
16-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Yes this is correct. However not just verbal communication skills. Things like being passionate about what they do and showing that passion, being enthusiastic, vibrant and bubbly. All things that an organisation has ingrained in the culture of their people. If a candidate does not have these things, would not contribute to the culture of the organisation, not being the right "culture fit" even if they have the right qualifications and good work experience.

Moz
16-06-2011, 10:13 AM
It's nice to give people constructive feedback and reasons why they didn't get the job, but sometimes it can be risky to try to explain it and as far as I am aware you don't have to give a detailed reason as to why you did not employ someone.

However, it would be easier to explain and/or defend if you have a structured, behavioural interviewing process, with questions designed to explore both the technical and "soft" skills required for the job, with an explanation of what evidence you are looking for in each case. This way you can rank candidates against one another, but you also need to define what is considered critical to the job and the organisation and what would rule someone out regardless of other candidates.

ER-Enthusiast
16-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I agree with Moz on this one.

Also don't forget to keep this information on file soyou have evidence event a claim is brought against the employer.

Qld IR Consultant
17-06-2011, 01:11 PM
You are walking a tightrope with this one. Its perfectly fine to have value and behaviours in the organisation, but its not a valid reason for not employing someone because you think they may not "fit in". If you don't employ this person and thats the only reason you give them then the first thing that will pop into their mind is discrimination......I know i'd think it....You have to give them the chance to adapt to the workplace culture, or give them other reason why your not employing them.....

My advice is don't tell them anything..just tell them that someone else was better suited to the role...will save you the pain.....