PDA

View Full Version : Warnings and dismissals - Under performance.

HRG78
30-05-2011, 10:00 AM
4. Why does it make sense to give employees warnings before dismissing them for under performance? How should warnings be issued?

Qld IR Consultant
30-05-2011, 01:11 PM
The age old saying "you need to warn them 3 times" is an urban myth. Warn them once in writing. Document everything accurately. Dismissals are easy, you just need to ensure that your preparation is impeccable.

HRG78
30-05-2011, 03:17 PM
yes good one like little kids who need to be given the "ill count to 3" treament.

CherylS
12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Why does it make sense, it tells them that their performance is not up to scratch and gives them a chance to improve and do the job they were employed to do. I agree with Qld IR Consultant though, there is not set number of warnings. You just need to be able to to show that you've been fair and reasonable in your requests. This generally includes advising the employee first in a meeting and then confirmimng in writing of the areas in which their performance is not meeting expectations and given them time to correct their performance before terminating them. I would generally discuss a review period of 2 - 6 weeks depending on the issues.

This also gives the employee an opportunity to let you know of any factors (either personal or professional) that are effecting their work. A couple of months ago I had a classic person not performing, turns out he had a gambling problem and once we had let him know that we would support him in getting some help there has been a marked improvement in his work. Either way, in a perfect world the manager would have been discussing this with them at least on an informal level before it gets to this point.

HRthelink
05-07-2011, 02:10 PM
What about casual employees who have been employed for less than 1 month and underperforming?

Also, are there any things that need to be written in a termination letter for casuals?

Qld IR Consultant
05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
What about casual employees who have been employed for less than 1 month and underperforming?

Also, are there any things that need to be written in a termination letter for casuals?

Nope. "Unfortunately due to an unacceptable level of performance it will be necessary to terminate your employment effective (insert date)

I do however recommend that you document everything and be prepared......